Graveyard Carz show

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmparts

Greasemonkey
Jan 27, 2013
Yes, but if its my car and I am paying for it I should be able to build it any way I want. It doesn't make me weird because you don't like it. I don't like when people alter cars with different engines or wheels or paint, but it is not mine it is thiers and should be able to do what they want. If you don't like mopars ok cool, I don't like Toyotas.

ItsnotaGN

G-Body Guru
May 28, 2016
Colorado
On of my dad's friends, "Fat Frank", has the "100% as delivered, stock" Mental disorder. Of course he owns a Mopar ('62 max wedge polara)

Fat Frank is building a CLONE 1967 L79 4 spd Nova (from a 6 cylinder auto) (for a guy who has said out loud he just wants a car he can get in and get on), and he made the poor lady at Champion auto order 13 single reservoir, manual drum brake master cylinders and went thru the boxes until they found the one with the correct date code range for this FAKE car.

If you are faking an L79, why not put disk brakes on it?

He spent hours making a US Steel "made in Canada" stamp to stamp the top of the gas tank. He spend hours marking the TOPS of the inner fenders with the correct grease pencil markings, though it will never be seen again once the fenders are bolted on. He sent a under dash panel that goes on top of the heater box (not visible even if you crawl under the dash) out to the powder coater rather just Krylon semi flat black spray painting it, because it was closer to the factory finish.

The restoration is going to cost $60K, the best they can hope for a Clone L79 is $40K and the owner is retired on a fixed income.

This is a sickness. This isn't rational. These people need professional help.
I had a gennie 66 L79 Chevy II 100 back in the late 80's early 90's. I did drive it around on glass belted tires cause I love the look, but with a modified motor and 4:88's handling was out the window anyway. It had a dual reservouir master swapped in because it had line lock and a lot of late 60's speed parts, white Hurst T handle, Stewart warner gauges and a cable driven tach with Moroso in script instead of block letters. It would be in my opinion the worlds greatest injustice to restore that car to stock. The guy I sold it to has kept it pretty much the way I bought it. That car has only about 36K on it, has never been apart except for the engine , solid as a rock with the best sounding closing doors and is a real trip to drive (for short distances).

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
I had a gennie 66 L79 Chevy II 100 back in the late 80's early 90's. I did drive it around on glass belted tires cause I love the look, but with a modified motor and 4:88's handling was out the window anyway. It had a dual reservouir master swapped in because it had line lock and a lot of late 60's speed parts, white Hurst T handle, Stewart warner gauges and a cable driven tach with Moroso in script instead of block letters. It would be in my opinion the worlds greatest injustice to restore that car to stock. The guy I sold it to has kept it pretty much the way I bought it. That car has only about 36K on it, has never been apart except for the engine , solid as a rock with the best sounding closing doors and is a real trip to drive (for short distances).

Nobody would complain about a "day 2" restoration, (especially since the car is a clone) and he used vintage speed parts and parts off other similar vintage models. The L79 guy actually intends to drive it, so make the "driver" mods any sane person would make and "people who know better" won't think he's a clueless clown.

Fat Frank had a COPO he sold for $175 (after we all told him to sell it to the guy who offered him $225) and still has the max wedge and there are stories of him actually driving over the speed limit back in the day, but the "Day 1" factory brain damage is bad with him, like the cars were somehow "perfect" when they rolled down the line.

We were talking to a guy last week who was a buyer for a big car dealer in Nebraska in the 1950's and you had to check every option - nothing was std. When their 2 truck loads of cars arrived, none had heaters (it was like a $5 option he forgot to check). His first though was "I'm going to get fired", but Luckily there was a dealership in SoCal looking for heater delete cars so he was able to sell them in a week.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Sadly, this guy found that out the hard way:

View attachment 72509

There is nothing wrong with drum brakes as long as they are properly maintained. You show one vehicle that was rear ended by an unknown vehicle. Even if it was a tractor trailer who knows if the guy/gal was following too close or if they fell asleep. And one scrapped vehicle when looking at how many tractor trailers on the road isn't bad. I was on the road two days ago when someone jumped into my lane at a speed much lower than mine and the lane left to me was not an option. I can stop the GP real quick but I had a tractor trailer on my tail smoking his tires to slow down. One of my clients is a major transport company and I know quite a few people in the industry. The disk brakes are quicker to service but they much more expensive and they have to be change more often than drums brakes. The drum brakes can safely stop the truck so until the new truck come equipped only with disk brakes they'll stick the drums

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Yes, I've driven one. 72 6cyl nova 4 door.

I was leaving high school in 1982 in my '71 SC360, A friend of mine in a '72 Duster throws me a rev and we go through gears down 120th street in Omaha. it wasn't a contest and I stop at the next light and wait for him to pull up to give him the thumbs up, I hear tires squealing and I look in the rear view mirror to see and idiot in an 'earlier 70's Nova 350 5-7 car lengths back trying to stop, but not stopping and I watch as he just plows right into the back of my SC360. W.T.F! Didn't hop the curb, didn't change lanes, he just had the stupid look on his face "awha????"

My friend in the Duster says he'll call the cops and goes to the gas station across the street. The Cops show up in 5 minutes and the kid tells the cops I was "racing him" and "I cut him off"... delusional. I tell the cop I was stopped at the light and that idiot just plowed into the back of me. Cop looks at the 150 ft single skidmark and goes "yep". Idiot kid gets a ticket and His insurance goes up so much he had to stop driving to school.

My SC360 got fixed and went on to win national show trophies, I'm pretty sure the nova never got fixed and ended up in the junkyard.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Well it appears to be a 6 lug rear 8.5 which would have been a simple disc conversion since they went with a modern axle anyways. But, from the looks of the 92ish Silverado grill in the heap, was he rear ended by a truck with disc brakes? Im confused

The '66 Chevy was actually a pretty nice truck before being rear ended by a Semi (probably with drum brakes).

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
What about driving a Model T on the street with their wood lined band brakes?

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor