Gray Man, Inc.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I probably could but not sure it's worth the effort. The ditch I cleaned out carries runoff from the fields to the south of me. The highway runs along the bottom of a valley between 2 hilly ranges and there's fields and orchards on both sides for a couple miles. The runoff flows through ditches that all run together before they come through my property. The farmers don't go out of their way to overwater so my ditch is dry more than it's full. The most effective way is probably to bury a 55 gallon drum next to my ditch and divert water, then submerge a pump in the barrel. I'm going lazier than that and just using garden hoses with the feed side anchored to the upstream culvert under my driveway. The other end just gets left in the field to flood irrigate.

It's a weird gray area. The canal and pumped water is heavily scrutinized but the runoff really isn't. As a water rights holder I can basically do what I want with it before it drains back into the canal to be recirculated. The actual supplied water that I specifically pay for is only available on certain days based on a scheduled allotment by the water district and is turned on and off by the rotation boss, who happens to be my neighbor's son. There are also ditch riders that patrol the canals and ditches to make sure nobody is stealing.

Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I probably could but not sure it's worth the effort. The ditch I cleaned out carries runoff from the fields to the south of me. The highway runs along the bottom of a valley between 2 hilly ranges and there's fields and orchards on both sides for a couple miles. The runoff flows through ditches that all run together before they come through my property. The farmers don't go out of their way to overwater so my ditch is dry more than it's full. The most effective way is probably to bury a 55 gallon drum next to my ditch and divert water, then submerge a pump in the barrel. I'm going lazier than that and just using garden hoses with the feed side anchored to the upstream culvert under my driveway. The other end just gets left in the field to flood irrigate.

It's a weird gray area. The canal and pumped water is heavily scrutinized but the runoff really isn't. As a water rights holder I can basically do what I want with it before it drains back into the canal to be recirculated. The actual supplied water that I specifically pay for is only available on certain days based on a scheduled allotment by the water district and is turned on and off by the rotation boss, who happens to be my neighbor's son. There are also ditch riders that patrol the canals and ditches to make sure nobody is stealing.
Sounds about right. Benefits to a deep pond are fishing and swimming in summer. And ice skating and ice fishing in winter. (Plus I do enjoy spending others people's money and work-effort) :p

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Water rights are so foreign to me. Having grown up on a lake where there are literally billions and billions of gallons to use as much as you want and you only need to pay for the electricity to move it wherever you want.

Reactions: 2 users

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
Water rights are so foreign to me. Having grown up on a lake where there are literally billions and billions of gallons to use as much as you want and you only need to pay for the electricity to move it wherever you want.
I prefer the Riparian system as ck80 pointed out, the problem isssssss.... you get essholes out here. rich man moves in upstream, builds a dam across the creek on his land, nothing you can do about it (unless it impacts an endangered species). if a drought comes along, he is under no obligation to pass water along downstream. so anybody that uses that water for anything, such as watering horses or livestock? too bad. so we have to have the other system in place. which brings up the question....

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Just spent the last 2 hours going over tiny house plans with my daughter. We're mostly on the same page.

Spent this morning doing Vibe stuff. Supervibe got a new AGM battery. Goddammit, batteries have gotten really expensive!

I'm sad when Gretta is sad so I welded in a new spark arrester.

I replaced the RR bearing shortly after I purchased it. It's always been a buzz box but recently got a little louder. This morning I replaced the LR wheel bearing and it's noticeably better. Might still replace the fronts just because 317K.

I couldn't avoid a truck tread on my last trip to PDX. It busted out my lower grille. I never really liked the stupid billet inserts that it came with. Replaced them with OG plastic grilles. All better now.

My daughter's basic b*tch Vibe was way over due for tires. LF inner edge was wearing hard. I also painted the wheels because early years in Minnesota were unforgiving.

Reactions: 2 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Hotel/Parking lot?

Last edited:
  • Sad

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Haha, yup. Not sure how it pasted that. I spent the last 2 1/2 weeks working in Portland and that's where I stayed. Portland sucks but I made decent money.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Haha, yup. Not sure how it pasted that. I spent the last 2 1/2 weeks working in Portland and that's where I stayed. Portland sucks but I made decent money.
My daughter mentioned the possibility of moving there. I told her I had sources that said it wasn't great..her response was she was tired of people in Oklahoma. Funny given she is a native born Okie
:LOL:

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Tell her NOOOO!

I lived just outside for most of my life. 10-15 years ago it was pretty fun. It's a woke lefty shithole now.

• Agree
  • Sad
Reactions: 3 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor