Gray Man, Inc.

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
I stopped by my dad's to see what he was up to and got there just in time to help him wrestle his de-arched rear spring back in. It's about a 2" drop. He may still do a 1" shackle drop on the front. I think it needs just a bit of rake. Maybe it's just right though, since the tires are all the same size and not bigs n littles. I don't know.

He also gave most of it a quick once-over with some Scotchbrite to knock the oxidation off. The spots with more surface rust and staining will get more attention later. He's still planning to give it a coat of semi-gloss clear to preserve it's age and experience.
dad sure has a big green lawn to keep cut!

Reactions: 1 user

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I took 6INAROW for a drive today. Actually, this is the first I've really driven it beyond my driveway. Ran to the truck stop and topped it off. Trip to get it home was 18.3mpg running 70.

Maybe you guys with more Cummins experience can educate me. If I'm pulling away from a stop at a steady RPM of 1800-2000, it runs through the gears and has positive shifts. Boost is around 20-24, if the gauge is accurate. Once it shifts into high gear, boost jumps up to 34-36 and it pulls like mad with no increased pedal input. Is this normal or is this a result of the "work" that the previous owner claims was done?

I ended up at the base of Lizard Butte, about 3 miles from home. I've never actually hiked to the top but wanted to see what the view was like.
File photo from da webz...

There's a cross at the top and a small pavilion where they hold outdoor Easter services. It's on private land but open to public foot traffic.

Anyway, this is what my podunk town looks like in March from the high ground.

That's the Snake river. My parents' house is on the far bank to the long Island in the center. Out of frame, everything to the right is orchards or wine grapes. There's about a dozen wineries in the area.

My house is under the arrow. The Owyhee mountains are in the background. Mostly just cattle stuff on my side of the river.

Everything is brown right now but they have cattle on the corn stubble. As soon as it dries out, they'll get moved out and the fields get plowed. A month from now everything will either be green or planted in corn or alfalfa. Canals usually filled around April 15th.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I agree, about an inch lower in front on Dad's truck would look good. I usually don't care for much rake, bit I think it would look good here.

Reactions: 1 users

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
There's a cross at the top and a small pavilion where they hold outdoor Easter services. It's on private land but open to public foot traffic.

is that kind of thing, crosses on a hill etc etc, common around there?

Nov 4, 2012
Maybe you guys with more Cummins experience can educate me. If I'm pulling away from a stop at a steady RPM of 1800-2000, it runs through the gears and has positive shifts. Boost is around 20-24, if the gauge is accurate. Once it shifts into high gear, boost jumps up to 34-36 and it pulls like mad with no increased pedal input. Is this normal or is this a result of the "work" that the previous owner claims was done?
Mine never behaved like that. When mine downshifted, the boost would shoot up and it'd pull like a freight train, but never upshifting. Does it do it before or after the converter locks up?

Reactions: 1 user

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I'm not sure what the shift mapping is. Seat of the pants feels like 1-2-3-lockup-OD. If I hit the OD-OFF button on the dash, it doesn't pull the way I described. I'm definitely not complaining. It pulled like a MF'r!

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor