HAPPY FRIDAY - CHECK OUT THIS AWD CUTLASS

Status
Not open for further replies.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Oh well I searched and found this article.
https://www.lsxmag.com/news/necessity-is-the-mother-of-invention-brian-kings-awd-1982-cutlass/

Only thing TBSS was the ls2 engine.

He used
LS2 and wiring harness
Pickup/Tahoe oil pan
TBSS t-case
4l80e
S10 blazer/bravada front diff and subframe

The fact he says he used a stock truck oil pan and the throttle linkage almost hits the hood means the engine sits 2-3" taller than normal and you can see the rake in the engine under hood photo. 4wd S10 blazer people mod the pan so the diff sits deeper into the pan like the photo above.

The only thing you need to make it AWD is a t-case and driveshaft and a s10/blazer 4wd subframe, welding and coil overs.

If you had a 4.3 monte you literally could just buy a 4.3 blazer, cut the front frame off the G body, weld in the blazer front frame and reuse the front diff, oil pan, engine, trans and t-case. Imagine body swapping a G body onto a s10 blazer but you keep the G body frame from the firewall back.

You can even see the torsion bar hex keys in the lower control arms. He just went to coil overs up front.
1558709116361.png

Reactions: 1 user

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
To me, that garage says "I have 'f*** you' money, and the car wasn't built here."

• Winner

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
You would think for all of the work to do this you build a custom trans crossmember instead of using a stock one and bolting it on from underneath.
1558711310936.png

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Still......burnouts are cool no matter how they're done.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
You would think for all of the work to do this you build a custom trans crossmember instead of using a stock one and bolting it on from underneath.
View attachment 114360

I didnt notice that at first.

That means the engine front is up at least 2" and the trans tail shaft is down probably 2", i assume for the T-case to clear the floor.

There was a discussion on the forum recently about LS swap oil pans and maintaining driveline angles. 1" was roughly 1 degree, so we are talking 5 degrees loss on the U joint. Zoinks scoob!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor