Hard shifting help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeanGreenMonte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 28, 2017
Alright so I'm new here and to the g body life. I recently acquired my father in laws 84 monte convertible with a 355 small block and a turbo 350 transmission. The issue is when driving around it shifts from 1st to 2nd really high rpm and hard enough to chirp the tires and same from 2nd to 3rd but not as high rpm. The guy he got the transmission from said he had it rebuilt about 3 years ago. What should I start checking to get it to not break my neck when just driving around. Thanks

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
^X2

You should have a vacuum line from the carburetor to the vacuum modulator on the transmission. Stock, the line is mostly a hard steel line with a short piece of rubber vacuum hose on each end. Make sure you don't have a loose or missing vacuum line. On the Th350, the vacuum signal tells the trans how hard you are on the gas. With no vacuum signal (unhooked or leaking vacuum line to the modulator), the trans shifts like you are at wide open throttle, but since you are at part throttle, it results in a harsh shift.

MeanGreenMonte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 28, 2017
^X2

You should have a vacuum line from the carburetor to the vacuum modulator on the transmission. Stock, the line is mostly a hard steel line with a short piece of rubber vacuum hose on each end. Make sure you don't have a loose or missing vacuum line. On the Th350, the vacuum signal tells the trans how hard you are on the gas. With no vacuum signal (unhooked or leaking vacuum line to the modulator), the trans shifts like you are at wide open throttle, but since you are at part throttle, it results in a harsh shift.

I will have to get under there hopefully tomorrow. Thank you

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
As I remember it could also be the manual control valve. Engine off, push gas pedal to floor reasonably hard and rapid a few times. That allows that kick-down cable to move the valve in the transmission and unstick it.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Pics please

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor