Hard time finding fuel filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

81MalibuMan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 25, 2019
Distributor cap is where the plugs attach. the button is underneath it... Typically, they come together, but sometimes not.

-Gonz
Gotcha, I imagine that one will be a b*tch. It's stuck right behind the carb

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
My understanding is its in the same place as teh 4bbl..

View attachment 129293

PAY ATTENTION when you take it out and DO NOT put the new one in BACKWARDS. There is a spring in there too.

-Gonz
I should've figured it was like the Chevy 4-bbl Qjet with the fuel inlet on an angle, rather than straight in. ...and I have a Q-jet on my car now.

Reactions: 1 user

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
what are the ambient temps in your area? are you letting it warm up or are you jumping in and going right away? it might be a choke pull off (vacuum break) that is not set correctly or knot working.

Reactions: 1 users

81MalibuMan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 25, 2019
My understanding is its in the same place as teh 4bbl..

View attachment 129293

PAY ATTENTION when you take it out and DO NOT put the new one in BACKWARDS. There is a spring in there too.

-Gonz
So I got the air filter and the housing off and located the filter now should I unscrew the steel line 1st? I tried the big one 1st and started warping the steel line 😬 cuz I'm dumb and didn't think about it.
20191126_103739.jpg

81MalibuMan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 25, 2019
what are the ambient temps in your area? are you letting it warm up or are you jumping in and going right away? it might be a choke pull off (vacuum break) that is not set correctly or knot working.
I'm in Western MA so it's pretty cold here in the AM.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Put a wrench on the inlet and use a 5/8 on the line. try not to twist it anymore. then use the bigger wrench to take off the inlet housing.

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
Hey guys I got a 1981 Chevy Malibu Base model with a V6 3.8L she's turning over but won't stay running. My bet is that the fuel filter is gunked to hell only problem is that I can't figure out where it is. Doesn't help that I'm new to working on my own cars. I've been googling for an answer all day couldn't find any info that was useful to me. Wanna take a look see b4 I have to bring it down to a shop. Any pics or diagrams that would point me in the direction would be most appreciated.
Good Day to you my friend, aside from fuel filters near/attached to the carb, there is also one on the passenger side frame rail between the fuel tank and rear axle. (that's how my 78 is)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor