Has anyone replaced the ECM ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elcotrk

Apprentice
Oct 8, 2021
Buying a remanufactured or a used ECM, is my concern, a used one you take your chances but there cheaper, a remanufactured is like new slim chance of problem's but twice the cost.
Not sure what breaks or goes bad with them
Any thoughts
Thx

Olds G's

Greasemonkey
Apr 6, 2020
CT
Is there a shop that currently services these? I wonder if you would be better having yours serviced and returned to you.

elcotrk

Apprentice
Oct 8, 2021
Is there a shop that currently services these? I wonder if you would be better having yours serviced and returned to you.
I’d be willing to do that, if I knew a shop that repaired them for a reasonable price.
Remanufactured starting cost $120.00 plus s/h

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Remanufactured ECMs are not really remanufactured, they are simply tested for problems.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Remanufactured ECMs are not really remanufactured, they are simply tested for problems.
I've got a stack of OLD stock mid 1980s ECMs that were labeled 'reman' with some crazy retro packaging. You can tell they opened them up, cleaned things, possible could've resoldered some stuff in theory as I didn't crack it open to look, and painted things black instead of the plain metal.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I've got a stack of OLD stock mid 1980s ECMs that were labeled 'reman' with some crazy retro packaging. You can tell they opened them up, cleaned things, possible could've resoldered some stuff in theory as I didn't crack it open to look, and painted things black instead of the plain metal.
Refurbished may have been a better word for it. That's what the parts manager at the dealership pretty much told me on why they were listed as remanufactured. They were tested and if needed, opened, cleaned, tid bits resoldered or replaced as needed, post-tested and if good, shipped. The alternators and starters were cleaned, refinished, and new windings if necessary, but they performance tested everything and they had to meet new parts standards.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Its like with carburetors and especially with Qjets that there is a huge difference between reman and rebuild.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor