Have Electric Cars finally killed muscle cars???

I'd seen the transportation number in the 30% range myself on another gov't site, I may have to dig that up.
Global versus US. Globally, transportation accounts for about 14%. Here in the US, about 29%.

Globally, all passenger cars and light duty trucks (pickups and SUVs), taken together, account for about 6%.

Oh f**k! I can't unsee that! :puke:

Global versus US. Globally, transportation accounts for about 14%. Here in the US, about 29%.

Globally, all passenger cars and light duty trucks (pickups and SUVs), taken together, account for about 6%.

That sounds right, I was looking within our borders and not worldwide at the time.

To steer the discussion back to a more technical line I want to share something an online acquaintance of mine from another G body forum posted. He is an automotive engineer and he predicted a decade ago that the cost of hot rodding would rise as technology advances. Basically as the HP bar continues to rise so does the price to stay competitive and that eventually hot rodding will become a hobby only the rich can afford. Ever increasingly stricter emission, safety, noise, and MPG regulations aren't helping the matter.

A GM executive told me the same thing basically back in 2011. He said if you want a car with some factory horsepower, as time marched on, it was going to get exponentially more expensive to buy one, so it makes sense that hot rodding them will get more expensive as well. V8s would be luxury buys vs getting V6 and inline 4s. Not that you couldn't get one, it was just going to start costing more and more down the road. He's the one that also asked me what I thought of a mid-engined Corvette...apparently, they were working on the 2020 ideas back then. 🤔

Got to admit though, it's more than just bolt-ons in today's hot rodding for the most part. The quality (but some may disagree) of most of the good companies' aftermarket parts out there are much better as well.

The Emissions argument for EVs and saving the planet is one of the weakest arguments there is.
global_emissions_sector_2015.png

This data is straight from the EPA not newsmax or Fox. The 14% Transportation includes Over the road trucks, boats, planes and trains not just cars. Considering most new cars with ICE engines even pickups and SUVs are LEVs and ULEVs how much of an impact is switching over to EVs going to make on air pollution? Especially when you factor in where EVs get their charge from (Coal & NG makes up most of the US power generation). The decrease in greenhouses gases will be negligible.

If you add up every Big Block non catted muscle car with a carb the impact on the atmosphere is lower than lawn mowers because the number of cars and mileage driven are so low.

And the overall ecological impact of moving from ICE to EVs for daily transportation could end up being more detrimental to the environment because the cars lack of maintainability beyond a certain number of years means they will be sent to the crusher years before an ICE car would have. I have yet to find any scholarly journals or scientific data on that yet, but I'm sure it's out there if you look hard enough.

The high cost of battery repair replacement is real:
I agree and disagree. I agree that you're analysis describes how this is getting the cart in front of the horse, but I disagree that it's a weak argument for a cleaner environment.

Don't take me wrong though, I agree completely with the fact that we are going to have to increase electricity production with fossil fuels and transmit it over a power grid that can't handle a warm day of air conditioner use in most areas lol. Basically, we are drafting legislation for a pipe dream. Unfortunately this has become normal operation in our capitol.

so glad i am from the woods of SC where "we the people" still exist. most people in this country cannot afford such vehicles or either do not want them at all! again not trying to be political but it does tie in and does directly affect this subject, come Nov. things will change! then after that the gas spicket will be cut back on! there are some L**ns "my word was censored" but this country is full of hard-working patriots and real Americans who refuse to drive around in a MR magoo car! (If you don't have grey in your hair google him) 4x4 and hot rods are wanted and needed and are alive and well in most parts of this country! above it was said that we are the minority, i say bull! these people/L**ns want you to believe that! that is garbage! and if we survive as a country till 2024 you will see! i have made point after point here how we will never get away from petroleum, everything we have and use is made from it! nobody can, has, or will refute that!

Reactions: 08Malibu
so glad i am from the woods of SC where "we the people" still exist. most people in this country cannot afford such vehicles or either do not want them at all! again not trying to be political but it does tie in and does directly affect this subject, come Nov. things will change! then after that the gas spicket will be cut back on! there are some L**ns "my word was censored" but this country is full of hard-working patriots and real Americans who refuse to drive around in a MR magoo car! (If you don't have grey in your hair google him) 4x4 and hot rods are wanted and needed and are alive and well in most parts of this country! above it was said that we are the minority, i say bull! these people/L**ns want you to believe that! that is garbage! and if we survive as a country till 2024 you will see! i have made point after point here how we will never get away from petroleum, everything we have and use is made from it! nobody can, has, or will refute that!
You're telling people something they already know. Great job.
Hotrodders & automotive enthusiasts are a minority vs. the majority of the population when it comes to means of transportation.

You're telling people something they already know. Great job.
Hotrodders & automotive enthusiasts are a minority vs. the majority of the population when it comes to means of transportation.
i have no idea what you are talking about! we are not a minority! that only exist in the minds and lies of those spewing such nonsense!

Reactions: 08Malibu
i have no idea what you are talking about! we are not a minority! that only exist in the minds and lies of those spewing such nonsense!
Ok. Because you say it, that makes it true. Are you reading the statement?

I don't have a specific source, but I think some of that difference stems from other countries still using substantial amounts of coal and oil in their electricity production. And while I can't agree with everything olskool has written, he's right about at least one thing. China, Russia, India and most other developing countries don't care. The argument many countries make is that they're trying to achieve the same quality of life that we in the west already have and they believe that having to massively curb their GHG emissions would hamper that. They don't consider it fair that we (the west) are trying to impose restrictions hampering their economic growth when all they're trying to do is catch up.

Now, India, while substantial emitters as a whole, are a fair way down the list on a per capita basis. Even China does way better on a per capita basis than we do in North America. And, while we've been cutting emissions on a per capita basis, China has been increasing substantially.

Here in Canada, we're similar to the US. Transportation accounts for ~25% of emissions. But the oil and gas sector accounts for another 26%. Some will point to that and say since we're producing oil that ultimately goes into cars to be used as fuel, that's 50% of our emissions. But that's not true, we export ~75% of the oil and gas we produce - something like 90% of that to the US. So only 6.5% of our total could be additive towards our transportation numbers. But again, as someone else pointed out, That oil and gas is not used for just transportation. Some of it goes towards heating, electricity generation, production of plastics and other petroleum based products. In the end, the total transportation GHG, doesn;t accumulate much more than that original 25% - may a few percentage points more. But still, 25% of something is still pretty substantial and worth addressing.

But again, a wholesale shift towards EVs is going to be difficult when the infrastructure isn't there to support it. And we're looking at 2035 to ban the sale of ICE passenger vehicles. No way we're going to double our generating capacity in 13 years. Going to take nearly that long just to get approvals from everyone.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor