Have Electric Cars finally killed muscle cars???

Respectfully, the same attitude was held by many in the early 1900's when horse travel was being replaced by motorized vehicles. Being 'environmentally friendly' is nothing more than common sense IMHO. Of course implementing technologies that are not yet feasible due to any number of reasons is not the best laid plan. But ignoring pollution is not the answer either. As usual, our government has overstepped with it's high hope of EV implementation before the technology is present to be fully implemented. But it will correct back to a reasonable point - it has to inorder for us to sustain.

The forum has rules about this because EVERY political discussion turns beyond discussion and has a history of getting down right abusive, threatening and unfriendly. Most all of the members on this forum are not here for that type of argument.

Again respectfully - Jim
not me Jim, i will not be disrespectful! and i am definitely for clean air. but the fact is we are a long, long way from having totally electric cars and no l petroleum based products! and to get totally away from fossil fuels is a joke! what are the black top roads made of? what is the computer you are using made of? where is the power that is charging the batteries in these little MR magoo cars coming from? why yes, it is all petroleum based products! people need to take there lives back and stop believing what they are fed,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

respectfully mike

Reactions: Ugly1

We as a country (US or CA or whatever) have literally no say as to what China or India or Russia are doing. Obviously. We can ask nicely, threaten sh*t, but in the end the best we can do is control what we do. Kind of a sh*t argument to just point the finger and say "but they're doing it". Be better than them maybe? idk.

Also, the "loons" stuff is just the kind of thing I'm talking about per the rules. Evidence.
sorry, i want call them l**ns anymore, maybe i could call them kill joys, an old word. but either way you have to admit we will be the only country laughed at, but hey they are laughing at us now anyway! and i don't blame them. but i have said enough, i have made my points i guess, don't want to offend anyone,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I think most people are missing the point. EVs are great for the masses that sit in traffic all day. Who can argue against that? You are just looking foolish sitting in a huge lifted truck belching diesel fumes going walking speed. Might as well be in a clean EV and laugh at the guy spending beaucoup cash at the pump just to sit in traffic. Big cities choking on crummy air may ban ICE vehicles for good reason. BUT. Large areas of the country require long distance travel. Some parts will never have enough electrical infrastructure to support EVs. Some die-hards will never give up their ICE vehicles. No one can force you to by an EV when it is not even a workable alternative yet. On weekends you will still fire up the classic car/Jeep/race car/motorcycle/ whatever and have your fun. No one is going to take that away. Until the market decides that it is not making any money on you! I doubt most of us will be around to witness the actual end of the ICE.

like i said above what powers the EV? where is the charge coming from? as they are sitting on oil-soaked asphalt roads. and the plastic they are made of and the rubber tires they ride on, what are they made from, and the grease and oil that keep them lubed, where dose that come from? no, nothing is free! there is no utopia!

I am impressed with the strides being made in Geothermal energy. You drill down to the hot core, pipe fluid down to where the heat is, and it comes back up hot and ready to power electrical generators. Every part of the planet sits above the hot core. Some areas are "better" than others, but the entire planet can reap the benefits of this technology. Why is this not being fast-tracked? We have the deep drilling capacity. We have the need. Same thing with the reverse-osmosis process of extracting fresh water from sea water. The middle east does this right now. What the heck are we waiting for?

I am impressed with the strides being made in Geothermal energy. You drill down to the hot core, pipe fluid down to where the heat is, and it comes back up hot and ready to power electrical generators. Every part of the planet sits above the hot core. Some areas are "better" than others, but the entire planet can reap the benefits of this technology. Why is this not being fast-tracked? We have the deep drilling capacity. We have the need. Same thing with the reverse-osmosis process of extracting fresh water from sea water. The middle east does this right now. What the heck are we waiting for?
why isn't it being done? money power and control. i know i sound like a conspiracy theorist, but the fact is if "they' can't make enough money from it, or control our lives, then it aint gonna happen,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

To put a positive spin on this, when 90%+ of the cars on the road are EV it will be easier to hear all of us "crazy" hot rodders firing up our cars on the weekend! Shoot as it is now in my neighborhood there are a few new Challengers and Camaros with aftermarket exhausts, none of the kids get excited to see or hear them fire up. But myself and the two other guys on my street with older v8's always get a wave or thumbs up! What we can do to help keep this hobby alive is to teach the younger generations anything and everything we can.

This topic sounds very similar to "LS swaps are killing the SBC's" debate we hear all the time. To me I don't care what is under the hood as long as you are the one working on it and trying to make it faster!!

why isn't it being done? money power and control. i know i sound like a conspiracy theorist, but the fact is if "they' can't make enough money from it, or control our lives, then it aint gonna happen,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

They've got you by the balls. Always have, always will.

This topic sounds very similar to "LS swaps are killing the SBC's" debate we hear all the time. To me I don't care what is under the hood as long as you are the one working on it and trying to make it faster!!
Im too old school for this swapping crap, so i do care whats under the hood, and i for one, will NOT desecrate my malibu by putting an LS in it.... plain and simple, done and done.

I was all for emissions testing. Nothing wrong w/having hot-rods that are as clean as possible. What I didn't care for is all of the stupid legislated rules that MUST be followed or you were breaking the law even if your vehicle was cleaner emissions wise.

The Emissions argument for EVs and saving the planet is one of the weakest arguments there is.
global_emissions_sector_2015.png

This data is straight from the EPA not newsmax or Fox. The 14% Transportation includes Over the road trucks, boats, planes and trains not just cars. Considering most new cars with ICE engines even pickups and SUVs are LEVs and ULEVs how much of an impact is switching over to EVs going to make on air pollution? Especially when you factor in where EVs get their charge from (Coal & NG makes up most of the US power generation). The decrease in greenhouses gases will be negligible.

If you add up every Big Block non catted muscle car with a carb the impact on the atmosphere is lower than lawn mowers because the number of cars and mileage driven are so low.

And the overall ecological impact of moving from ICE to EVs for daily transportation could end up being more detrimental to the environment because the cars lack of maintainability beyond a certain number of years means they will be sent to the crusher years before an ICE car would have. I have yet to find any scholarly journals or scientific data on that yet, but I'm sure it's out there if you look hard enough.

The high cost of battery repair replacement is real:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor