Have Electric Cars finally killed muscle cars???

What makes ev better then ice? Maintenance? Up front cost? Looks? I'm not sure any of those are positives compared to ice. So the environment? 65% of electricity in America is non-renewable.Then add the lithium mining and battery disposal I don't see it making a huge difference. So that leaves price to run the automobile. My friend spends like 3 bucks a day, he drives maybe 60 miles. I think he Said supercharger is like 20$ on average. So that's awesome, but will it last when we all have to plug in. My guess is not. So why not keep producing ice vehicles, especially ones that get 30mpg+ while we wait to upgrade our grid. Build the charging stations and develop better batteries. I just dot understand the arbitrary deadlines. Full disclosure I like to watch RichRebuilds and think one day well be hotrodding teslas etc, but by watching his videos ive seen they don't really want you fixing your own tesla so that's another negative.

Reactions: gbodytoys
The very first cars were powered by steam. I don't know of any groups that are lamenting the demise of steam powered vehicles. Then some tried electric cars. They worked quite well but battery technology was woefully lacking. Then came the internal combustion engine but fuel was a problem. Some ran on kerosene or alcohol. Gasoline came much later. Thanks to the petroleum industry it made gasoline easily available and became commonplace. Electric golf carts have been around forever. Short term use only because batteries were the limiting factor again. The way I see it, electric cars have always been lurking in the background. The battery technology has finally caught up to the point where cars can go 400 miles on a charge. One day the batteries will be even better, last longer, and charging stations will be as commonplace as gas stations are now. That is going to take time but one day our cars will be museum pieces. So you will be scooting off to work in your state-of-the-art EV but on weekends you will be firing up your gas powered dinosaur to thrill the neighborhood kids. I don't see the problem.

I got your dinosaur right here:

What makes ev better then ice? Maintenance? Up front cost? Looks? I'm not sure any of those are positives compared to ice. So the environment? 65% of electricity in America is non-renewable.Then add the lithium mining and battery disposal I don't see it making a huge difference. So that leaves price to run the automobile. My friend spends like 3 bucks a day, he drives maybe 60 miles. I think he Said supercharger is like 20$ on average. So that's awesome, but will it last when we all have to plug in. My guess is not. So why not keep producing ice vehicles, especially ones that get 30mpg+ while we wait to upgrade our grid. Build the charging stations and develop better batteries. I just dot understand the arbitrary deadlines. Full disclosure I like to watch RichRebuilds and think one day well be hotrodding teslas etc, but by watching his videos ive seen they don't really want you fixing your own tesla so that's another negative.
If you can get your hands on one of the EV’s that I saw called Formula E ? Those things where halling butt! But the only electric race car I’ll have anytime for is a remote control one.

Last edited:
Hey, things change. Why is it so hard to except change? I am old as dirt and I love change as long as it is an improvement. I remember when point ignitions vanished, carburetors, distributors, leaded gas, DDT, pouring your old oil down the drain, letting your dog crap in the street, it's endless change and usually for the better. it's one thing to lament the passing of the 455-SD Trans Am. But who cares if a Toyota Corrola is never made again? A Honda Pilot? Really? Listen, I was able to continue using points ignition well into the 80's in my '68 Firebird. But once I was able to scrounge up a Pontiac HEI, I never looked back. My grandson even sent me an article about swapping electric motors into classic cars that look like ICEs. He thinks my '68 Firebird convertible would be even cooler with electric power. He may be right.

Fellow '90s child here. Heck, if we're talking about not keeping up or spanking the new stuff, "New Muscle" killed old muscle. Probably before we even graduated. Once the technology was there, stuff just kept getting faster and faster. I remember when the GT500 was hot sh*t. But the biggest thing that I hear and experience is that it all got too expensive. Once the "Pro-Touring" scene got into full swing, nothing that I could ever feasibly build would hold a candle to what's popular. Once upon a time, headers and glass packs were enough to be cool. With maybe a distant dream of a power adder. Now, if it's not LS swapped with 10 inch billet wheels and full custom suspension, it's just an old car. (Maybe it's a personal problem) What certainly didn't help the dream was watching those Pro-Touring cars get their asses kicked on "Are You Faster Than A Redneck." All of that fury and all of that money, just to get embarrassed anyway. My heroes were dead, and I had a 1980s personal luxury car with a thrush glasspack to show for it. But I never gave up on it, and the real draw to the car had shone through. It's got looks and personality. And as it turns out, that's all that I need. (...100 more hp and a stick shift wouldn't hurt though.)

Hey, things change. Why is it so hard to except change? I am old as dirt and I love change as long as it is an improvement. I remember when point ignitions vanished, carburetors, distributors, leaded gas, DDT, pouring your old oil down the drain, letting your dog crap in the street, it's endless change and usually for the better. it's one thing to lament the passing of the 455-SD Trans Am. But who cares if a Toyota Corrola is never made again? A Honda Pilot? Really? Listen, I was able to continue using points ignition well into the 80's in my '68 Firebird. But once I was able to scrounge up a Pontiac HEI, I never looked back. My grandson even sent me an article about swapping electric motors into classic cars that look like ICEs. He thinks my '68 Firebird convertible would be even cooler with electric power. He may be right.

Many of those 'changes' improved functionality and ease of use. The idea is that the ev push, in its current form, and with its current motivations, is not that.

We've talked about the lack of infrastructure in this thread. And environmental issues. But what about stored energy?

All is fine and well if you live somewhere there are never power outages from storms. Or where you don't flee hurricanes.

I can buy gas, put it in a portable tank, and extend the range of my vehicle or make sure it functions as a source of emergency heat/cooling with extreme weather. EVs neither possess, nor have touted such ability.

And can you imagine all the dangerous breakdowns fleeing the path of a big storm?

• Agree
Reactions: pagrunt

Yup, technology and progress is great... until it isn't. When is enough, enough?

Our narcissism and hubris will be our undoing, as it may very well cost us our humanity. I do not want to live my life on autopilot.

Not to mention mass high speed electric transit trains (200+ mph) across the nation. Dreams are there, the money is lacking.
The problem with that for the US is railroad track here still follows 1800's routing with tight curves and steep grades that do not support high speed passenger trains like in Europe. Between WW2 destroying much of the existing rail network there and the nationalization of European railways has led to more track modernization.
The shift you're talking about was determined by the market, not someone's half baked dream getting shoved up everyone's @$s.
9022728679bd8eb76b2a29dc05221187.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Mikej89

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor