Have Electric Cars finally killed muscle cars???

EV's have and will surely have even more impressive performance as years go on, basically are in a different category than ICE vehicles IMO. I never drove one but understand they can and will perform at a high level. I won't really care too much when the newer/daily driver vehicles are becoming majority EV options, hopefully there is still a choice and that's where the whole free market vs. forced market thing can get messy, much rather see it change organically as well. I think the public also knows it's a relatively new tech so why buy into it now knowing there could be leaps and bounds in coming years.

For our cars and any older stuff there are too many people that do and will continue to prefer the ICE, no matter how much faster basically driving a big battery might be or the handling could improve by strategically placing the batteries for weight distribution. No thanks to converting my cars, the feel/sound can't be replicated, just part of the reason. It will be interesting to see how many swaps start getting done by owners in their own garages as more and more EV's are built and eventually wrecked/scrapped or the OEM's sell swaps similar to crate engines.

I'd also guess the progression to EV in the performance market can get the LS swap snobs off the hook and we can all band together to hate the EV dorks instead 🙂.

Much like you, I don't care if most of the country goes EV, but I do fear the legislation that will follow that could make it illegal to drive even the mildest ICE. Exhaust fumes and noise decibels already seem to be "under attack".

If you can get your hands on one of the EV’s that I saw called Formula E ? Those things where halling butt! But the only electric race car I’ll have anytime for is a remote control one.
😴 fast but boring.

EVs in their current incarnation will not be able to take over.
  • Not enough Lithium on the planet
  • Current Electric Grid can't handle it
  • Extreme heat e.g. Phoenix, TX, etc. seriously degrade battery life
  • Extreme Cold (Mid-West, North East) seriously degrade battery life
  • Economics of initial price and battery replacement costs is not cheaper than ICE cars
  • Possibly Dangerous (perceived?) e.g. Chevy Bolt combusting
  • Impractical for high mileage users like salesmen, couriers etc.
The Germans seem to understand and Porsche is working on efuels:

It's very possible that we'll never see any future generations of V8s outside of very niche/exotic cars which is sad. But it won't be because of EVs, it'll be lack of demand, high fuel costs and Government mandates. As costs of EVs soar due to scarcity of the precious metals you'll probably see small turbo Diesels rise in popularity especially in the trucks and SUVs, until a more viable alternative to Lithium batteries is developed or Hydrogen Fuel Cell vehicles have enough safety controls built in or the eFuels rise in popularity.

The Politicians and Silly-ConArtist Valley types are pushing the narrative that EVs are the way of the future but it's just impossible at this point for a 1:1 replacement of ICE to EV cars on the road.

😴 fast but boring.

EVs in their current incarnation will not be able to take over.
  • Not enough Lithium on the planet
  • Current Electric Grid can't handle it
  • Extreme heat e.g. Phoenix, TX, etc. seriously degrade battery life
  • Extreme Cold (Mid-West, North East) seriously degrade battery life
  • Economics of initial price and battery replacement costs is not cheaper than ICE cars
  • Possibly Dangerous (perceived?) e.g. Chevy Bolt combusting
  • Impractical for high mileage users like salesmen, couriers etc.
The Germans seem to understand and Porsche is working on efuels:

It's very possible that we'll never see any future generations of V8s outside of very niche/exotic cars which is sad. But it won't be because of EVs, it'll be lack of demand, high fuel costs and Government mandates. As costs of EVs soar due to scarcity of the precious metals you'll probably see small turbo Diesels rise in popularity especially in the trucks and SUVs, until a more viable alternative to Lithium batteries is developed or Hydrogen Fuel Cell vehicles have enough safety controls built in or the eFuels rise in popularity.

The Politicians and Silly-ConArtist Valley types are pushing the narrative that EVs are the way of the future but it's just impossible at this point for a 1:1 replacement of ICE to EV cars on the road.

This is why auto experts are predicting the end of private car ownership and a mass switchover to rideshare services, subscriptions, or perm a leases.

If Tesla Plaid is anything like this.... im sold! 😀

Another nail in the coffin thanks to fuel economy:

Do not want.
Jesus, what jaded Boomer wrote that article? I know in the Jeep forums, people have been asking for an engine like this for years. Basically a modern 4.0 with factory forced induction. This would be a perfect engine for anything Jeep, and a great option for the Ram trucks as well.

As much as I like horsepower, those big Hemis have a few glaring downsides. Ignoring the whole fuel economy thing, they are wide engines. It is getting harder and harder to package something around that big engine and not have an excessively large vehicle as a result.

• Agree
Reactions: DRIVEN
Jesus, what jaded Boomer wrote that article? I know in the Jeep forums, people have been asking for an engine like this for years. Basically a modern 4.0 with factory forced induction. This would be a perfect engine for anything Jeep, and a great option for the Ram trucks as well.

As much as I like horsepower, those big Hemis have a few glaring downsides. Ignoring the whole fuel economy thing, they are wide engines. It is getting harder and harder to package something around that big engine and not have an excessively large vehicle as a result.

It's the death of the ICE muscle car... the whole premise of this thread. A turbo V6 is a great thing, but it really isn't a muscle car engine.

[Insert muh Grand National/Turbo TA/Sy/Ty would argue otherwise here]

The absence of a big V8 5.7 to 7.0L in a car is a gut punch to a lot of people. Particularly when it doesn't seem justified for the reasons presented.

It's the death of the ICE muscle car... the whole premise of this thread. A turbo V6 is a great thing, but it really isn't a muscle car engine.

The absence of a big V8 5.7 to 7.0L in a car is a gut punch to a lot of people. Particularly when it doesn't seem justified for the reasons presented.
I totally get your sentiment. But millions of Hemis have been produced and they won't just evaporate. We still see flatheads at almost every car show after almost 75 years of extinction. On paper, the Hurricane looks pretty cool. Only time will tell how it ages.

Reactions: Wageslave

A boosted LV3 4.3 might get you to come around. Agreed its not a V8, but with a mere 14psi could make 600 crank HP.

Paramount Network Jd GIF by Yellowstone

60's - 70's Muscle Cars reeked of cool. Body lines, colors, interiors, consoles w/cool shifters, and a good rumbling V8 under the hood. Even small-block muscle-cars were cool. The less muscular versions could still be had & built off of. The ability for the average Joe/Jo to get their hands dirty making it their own. They tried to keep things alive in the late 70's but were hit & miss until the engineering turned the corner to start bringing power back to the table. That's where g-body builds & guys like us get to tweak things to what we want. Power? Ok. More original? Ok. Something the OE's "should-of made"? Heck yeah!

EV's? Where is the coolness? Where will the 2020 Tesla be in 40yrs? With exception to the top tier Plaid model, where is the 'cool' (not that I think they rate)?

So from the perspective of what's going to be available via manufacturers, the government regulated CAFE mandates are what's going to finish-off the segment of the market that doesn't cater to families and/or mass transit type transportation that seats more than 4 adults.... The vehicles that interest groups like us (muscle).

Sorry.... I'd take a 400hp HEMI Challenger over a 500hp Hurricane TT Inline-6. No HEMI? No thanks. Same w/the EV & all of it's gadgetry. I'll take a hard pass.

Last edited:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor