Have Electric Cars finally killed muscle cars???

A boosted LV3 4.3 might get you to come around. Agreed its not a V8, but with a mere 14psi could make 600 crank HP.

Paramount Network Jd GIF by Yellowstone
Aftermarket support is the main thing holding a lot of the cool alternative engines back. Imagine if Summit had a part of their catalog dedicated to the Atlas engine or the LV3, the way they do with the LS's.

It's the death of the ICE muscle car... the whole premise of this thread. A turbo V6 is a great thing, but it really isn't a muscle car engine.

[Insert muh Grand National/Turbo TA/Sy/Ty would argue otherwise here]

The absence of a big V8 5.7 to 7.0L in a car is a gut punch to a lot of people. Particularly when it doesn't seem justified for the reasons presented.
While it may be a gut punch, technology has made the old saying about 'no replacement for displacement' a lot less relevant than it used to be. A hammer is a great tool, but if it is the only tool in the tool box, some jobs are a lot more work than they should be.

Aftermarket support is the main thing holding a lot of the cool alternative engines back. Imagine if Summit had a part of their catalog dedicated to the Atlas engine or the LV3, the way they do with the LS's.
The LV3 is LT1 5.3 based (If I recall correctly). just need someone to cut cams. I think it even has the LS/Smallblock trans bolt pattern....

I agree on the atlas series. The I6 the north american market deserves, would be so much fun.

• Agree
Reactions: Wageslave
The LV3 is LT1 5.3 based (If I recall correctly). just need someone to cut cams. I think it even has the LS/Smallblock trans bolt pattern....

I agree on the atlas series. The I6 the north american market deserves, would be so much fun.

Cool? Yes. Muscle car power plant? Nope.

scoti summed it up: desire. I have lots of interest in building weird engines, but absolutely no desire. Turbos on V8s? Desire. Superchargers on V8s? Desire. Nitrous on V8s? Desire. Forced induction and nitrous on V8s? Desire.

Sexy Season 1 GIF by Outlander

Four bangers? Six pots? Electric thingy? No desire.

• Agree
Reactions: Rktpwrd and Ugly1
If Tesla Plaid is anything like this.... im sold! 😀

This is all I think of when I hear Tesla Plaid. I want to believe it’s the reason it got the name, if Tesla has a good sense of humor.

• Haha
Reactions: Ugly1
😴 fast but boring.

EVs in their current incarnation will not be able to take over.
  • Not enough Lithium on the planet
  • Current Electric Grid can't handle it
  • Extreme heat e.g. Phoenix, TX, etc. seriously degrade battery life
  • Extreme Cold (Mid-West, North East) seriously degrade battery life
  • Economics of initial price and battery replacement costs is not cheaper than ICE cars
  • Possibly Dangerous (perceived?) e.g. Chevy Bolt combusting
  • Impractical for high mileage users like salesmen, couriers etc.
The Germans seem to understand and Porsche is working on efuels:

It's very possible that we'll never see any future generations of V8s outside of very niche/exotic cars which is sad. But it won't be because of EVs, it'll be lack of demand, high fuel costs and Government mandates. As costs of EVs soar due to scarcity of the precious metals you'll probably see small turbo Diesels rise in popularity especially in the trucks and SUVs, until a more viable alternative to Lithium batteries is developed or Hydrogen Fuel Cell vehicles have enough safety controls built in or the eFuels rise in popularity.

The Politicians and Silly-ConArtist Valley types are pushing the narrative that EVs are the way of the future but it's just impossible at this point for a 1:1 replacement of ICE to EV cars on the road.
The only thing no one is looking at because it is already produced but only in small numbers and viability( only in small vehicles ) is compressed air engines. About ten-ish years ago one Australian inventor and one in Italy where working on separate projects to make them. The Australians where using them vs. propane in warehouses.
Problem was the pressure tanks under the car and possibly of ruptures

Take the San Francisco-to-Los Angeles route here in California. Please.

They started building one piece of it out in the Central Valley that goes from nowhere to nowhere. Then discovered that they lack a practical way to get through the mountains to reach Los Angeles. And if there is a way, ticket prices will require massive state subsidies, otherwise the cars will be empty. Then local opposition arose against other parts of the route. So there was a move to kill funding. But apparently that piece from nowhere to nowhere is still being built.

And of course the thing is electric. Loads and loads of electric.

The whole EV thing has that kind of feel to it.

The real catch in all of this is that our beady little minds lack capacity to analyze all aspects of complicated problems, and all consequences of proposed solutions, all at once. So we stumble through trial and error.
I’ve heard and seen stuff about that little deal. Great idea! Not in my back yard! don’t hurt the environment! Oh you expect me to give up my car and depend lose my individuality?! Just like put killers in prison. We need more prisons, fine,but not in my back yard!!
Electric cars! save the planet, no more big coal mines! No oil hurting the environment! Just big holes for lithium mines instead. And how do you make them and“recycle” them and…it’s all good until a person asks someone and unexpected question.

Reactions: rogue_ryder
This sounds pretty crazy until it isn’t. AFAIC, charging mass EV’s with a contained solar collection unit is less of a pipe dream than thinking our country will develop infrastructure to sustain an increase of 10-30%. And it would allow the vehicle, and owner, to be self reliant.

This is one of my favorite discussions - *note discussions. The price of energy has nothing to do with supply and demand, only those that control the price.

Follow the money, because there is not an energy supplier in the US that has experienced an increase cost in the energy they have produced for the past 6 months.

Again, follow the money. Where is the extra money going that we are paying for energy that was produced 6 - 18 months ago?

Ya know I hate carburetors, but I have several in my basement and all the parts to rebuild and fix them. Along with 3 power plants to install. Some hoard guns, some hoard gold, me, ehhh? I have a good supply of butt connectors and wire 😉
Oh I know. Races with fully solar power vehicles and such years ago though you don’t hear much of it today. Japanese companies where working on solar recharging built in but the panels where still to costly and poorly lasting at that time. I think Honda and Toyota had them at one of the big futuristic car design shows.

Reactions: 64nailhead

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor