Having a few (more) problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
I am having a problem.
I am hearing this loud hissing noise, like air out of a tiny hole coming from around my carb.
I know its a vacuum line but I am not sure on which one or where.

Other is my will go into gear, but when I push on the gas to go it doesn't move it stays at coast.
The car will not get up you can hear the engine going louder as I push harder or down on it but the car will not move any faster than coast speed.

I am in desperate need to figure this out, I got her running and to stay started fixed the timing.
Just need this done so I can drive her again.

Please if anyone has a picture or video showing me where all the vacuum lines are, Also help out whatever this problem is about the car not going anywhere.

I do have a video of me in the car backing it up and going forward you can hear me hitting the gas without the brake on and the car doesn't budge.
http://youtu.be/mDCoCq8rHo8

Thanks everyone in advance.

v2vera

G-Body Guru
Sep 13, 2010
in the Desert!
David Williamson said:
I am having a problem.
I am hearing this loud hissing noise, like air out of a tiny hole coming from around my carb.
I know its a vacuum line but I am not sure on which one or where.

Other is my will go into gear, but when I push on the gas to go it doesn't move it stays at coast.
The car will not get up you can hear the engine going louder as I push harder or down on it but the car will not move any faster than coast speed.

I am in desperate need to figure this out, I got her running and to stay started fixed the timing.
Just need this done so I can drive her again.

Please if anyone has a picture or video showing me where all the vacuum lines are, Also help out whatever this problem is about the car not going anywhere.

I do have a video of me in the car backing it up and going forward you can hear me hitting the gas without the brake on and the car doesn't budge.
http://youtu.be/mDCoCq8rHo8

Thanks everyone in advance.

Do you have enough fluid in the transmission? Also i beleive you said you had a 350 transmission correct? Is the vacume module hooked up to the intake? Im just throwing out ideas I had a transmission issue where the vacume was the issue.

v2vera

G-Body Guru
Sep 13, 2010
in the Desert!
David Williamson said:
Yeah the trans fluid is full.
But I have no idea if its hooked up, How can I see or check if it is hooked up.
I am not the best on engine works.

look under the car at the end of the transmission there should be a part that looks like this http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/ ... ing=search there should be a hose hooked up to a line going up to the back of the engine where it hooks up to the intake. Without it gears wont grab. Again I have a buick but I have a bop transmission so should be the same.

maddog20_20

Master Mechanic
Nov 20, 2010
St. Louis MO
There should be a metal vacuum line running down the passenger side of the transmission that hooks to a "module" close to the rear of the transmission just above the transmission pan. The other end should go onto a vacuum port on the intake manifold just behind the carb.

EDIT: Vera was a little quicker on his answer -- but same thing

maddog20_20

Master Mechanic
Nov 20, 2010
St. Louis MO
Also I was just watching your "idle check" video and it appears your tach is still calibrated for a 6 cyl not a V8 either that or you have an exremely quick revving V8 -- :D

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
v2vera said:
David Williamson said:
Yeah the trans fluid is full.
But I have no idea if its hooked up, How can I see or check if it is hooked up.
I am not the best on engine works.

look under the car at the end of the transmission there should be a part that looks like this http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/ ... ing=search there should be a hose hooked up to a line going up to the back of the engine where it hooks up to the intake. Without it gears wont grab. Again I have a buick but I have a bop transmission so should be the same.

Okay I have actually seen that piece, So I will go under and see if its hooked up.
Thanks again.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
maddog20_20 said:
There should be a metal vacuum line running down the passenger side of the transmission that hooks to a "module" close to the rear of the transmission just above the transmission pan. The other end should go onto a vacuum port on the intake manifold just behind the carb.

EDIT: Vera was a little quicker on his answer -- but same thing

:D

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
maddog20_20 said:
Also I was just watching your "idle check" video and it appears your tach is still calibrated for a 6 cyl not a V8 either that or you have an exremely quick revving V8 -- :D

Will I have to get a tach for that or will it finally recognize or ids there any way I could make it read the v8?

maddog20_20

Master Mechanic
Nov 20, 2010
St. Louis MO
Have never messed with a factory tach, but I doubt there is a switch like on aftermarket tachs to set it for 4,6,8 cyl. I would think you would just have to run some ype of resistor or device to make it work with a V8 - or find one out of a V8 cutlass and swap them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor