Having trouble removing a gauge cluster

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIGBrandon2785

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2011
Saint Louis,MO
Im tryin to replace the light bulbs im my speedometer and rpm gauge.I have the dash plate off and have the cluster loose but it still wont come out.Im guessing their is a speedometer cable holding it in place??But it wont come out far enough for me to see or get my hand behind it to feel around.Is their a trick to it??

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
if ya go under the car you can give some slack from the cable under the car and then follow it to the firewall, then try and feed it tward the inside from the engine bay. if that doesnt work then you can unscrew the speedo cable from the trans and then push some slack through the firewall so you can move the cluster to unclip the speedo. good luck :D

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
What kind of car is it? Do you have cruise control? If the car has has cruise, you could loosen the the end of the cable that goes to the transducer, which will enable you a little more slack to be able to pull the cluster out enough to slip your hand behind and unclip the speedo cable.
Also, the shift indicator has a tiny cable clipped on to the column. You'll have to remove the clip that's fastened to the part of the column that rotates.

BIGBrandon2785

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2011
Saint Louis,MO
Longroof79 said:
What kind of car is it? Do you have cruise control? If the car has has cruise, you could loosen the the end of the cable that goes to the transducer, which will enable you a little more slack to be able to pull the cluster out enough to slip your hand behind and unclip the speedo cable.
Also, the shift indicator has a tiny cable clipped on to the column. You'll have to remove the clip that's fastened to the part of the column that rotates.
Its a 86 Grand Prix,their is no cruise control.My cars shift indicator is on the counsel,does that matter?

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
BIGBrandon2785 said:
Longroof79 said:
Its a 86 Grand Prix,their is no cruise control.My cars shift indicator is on the counsel,does that matter?
========================================================================================================
You need not worry about that then. Sorry, I was thinking Chevy. Just try to loosen the end of the speedo cable to the trans, like Happyface indicated. Push the slack thru the firewall to allow enough slack. The end of the speedo cable that hooks onto the speedometer has a small tab that when pressed down should release the cable.

BIGBrandon2785

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2011
Saint Louis,MO
Longroof79 said:
BIGBrandon2785 said:
Longroof79 said:
========================================================================================================
You need not worry about that then. Sorry, I was thinking Chevy. Just try to loosen the end of the speedo cable to the trans, like Happyface indicated. Push the slack thru the firewall to allow enough slack. The end of the speedo cable that hooks onto the speedometer has a small tab that when pressed down should release the cable.
I finally got it where I can reach behind it,but it feels like their is a wiring harness with screws holding it in going to the speedometer.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
That may be the wires to the computer for the vehicle speed. You should be able to pull it away enough to unplug after getting the speedo loose.

kuruption109

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 28, 2008
highland, CA
Bonnewagon said:
That may be the wires to the computer for the vehicle speed. You should be able to pull it away enough to unplug after getting the speedo loose.
x2 but if its like the el camino malibu and monte dasg there is 7mm screw holding that harnes to the back of the guage panel

BIGBrandon2785

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2011
Saint Louis,MO
Bonnewagon said:
Thats whats holding it from coming out,I cant get it to unplug for nothing.It feels like and I can barely see,2 miniature looking bolts or screws holding it into place

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Mine had like a foot of slack, maybe it's snagged on something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor