Having trouble removing a gauge cluster

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIGBrandon2785

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2011
Saint Louis,MO
Bonnewagon said:
Mine had like a foot of slack, maybe it's snagged on something?
Yeah I have no idea??Mine has bout 1 inch of slack at the most.Probally gonna try to get it from underneath the dash tomorrow,but if I cant im gonna say screw it and do with out dash lights.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
You can try the always popular tiny-mirror-in-one-hand-and-tiny-tool-in-the-other procedure to remove that wire harness. Just don't get flustered and bash it to bits like I did once!

jmt455

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2011
SE Michigan
It should be on 7mm screw. My Bonneville had almost 0 slack in that part of the harness. Had to use a 7mm gear wrench to get at it.
Be patient and don't mess up that sensor!

BIGBrandon2785

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2011
Saint Louis,MO
Bonnewagon said:
You can try the always popular tiny-mirror-in-one-hand-and-tiny-tool-in-the-other procedure to remove that wire harness. Just don't get flustered and bash it to bits like I did once!
Yeah I was already at that point yesterday,Had to just walk away from it

BIGBrandon2785

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2011
Saint Louis,MO
LOL,got the cluster out.Went and bought 20 bucks worth of new lights,put it back in and still dont work. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: Checked the fuses and still nothin.Im done with it,ill do with out dash lights,now I gotta figure out how im gonna reconnect the speedometer cable :evil:

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Before you throw in the towel, check the grey lighting wire, as well as the dimmer on the headlights switch.

BIGBrandon2785

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2011
Saint Louis,MO
Bonnewagon said:
Before you throw in the towel, check the grey lighting wire, as well as the dimmer on the headlights switch.
I checked the dimmer,but what is the grey lighting wire??where does that run?Some of the lights work but others dont?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if some of the lites work I would test the circuit board for continuity with a multi tester to see if it's the board or the lite pods that are the problem

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
All the dash and courtesy lights use a grey wire in the harness, as per GM protocol, but you say some work, so never mind. But as Pontiacgp stated, if some work , then the printed circuit may be faulty, as well as the plastic bulb holders themselves. Those tiny copper pathways get overheated and melt, as well as cracked, and broken.

BIGBrandon2785

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2011
Saint Louis,MO
Bonnewagon said:
All the dash and courtesy lights use a grey wire in the harness, as per GM protocol, but you say some work, so never mind. But as Pontiacgp stated, if some work , then the printed circuit may be faulty, as well as the plastic bulb holders themselves. Those tiny copper pathways get overheated and melt, as well as cracked, and broken.
Yeah thanks for the help yall,but im done with it.Its drove me crazy for the last 3 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor