Headlight relays

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
On a stock system I don't think the end justifies the means. Upgrade Time? I am looking into doing mine so if any good tips that would be great
I don't follow....

The stock system is what you'd be upgrading. You add the relays and the old low/high beam wiring that used to go to the headlights now just power relays which sends battery power directly to the headlamps. It's a win win no matter what lighting system you are using. I agree, maybe put better bulbs in perhaps, but even with the stockies, you'll benefit. You can build the system for likely 20 bucks or less. Or if you want a kit they have those too for various spend levels. It's not like you're going an extra million candlepower, but better lighting is just a safer night outing.

I've been thinking about this with my resto on my 85. If I can hide the relays properly, I may just do a factory look upgrade on the headlights. They're not very bright in comparison now that the newer cars have HID lamps darn near standard everywhere now.

Reactions: 1 user

trevorjm

Greasemonkey
May 2, 2011
Not to hijack this thread but these harnesses like the one Mike's Montes sells, are they truly plug and play? So even a dummy like myself can install this fairly easily?

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
I don't follow....

The stock system is what you'd be upgrading. You add the relays and the old low/high beam wiring that used to go to the headlights now just power relays which sends battery power directly to the headlamps. It's a win win no matter what lighting system you are using. I agree, maybe put better bulbs in perhaps, but even with the stockies, you'll benefit. You can build the system for likely 20 bucks or less. Or if you want a kit they have those too for various spend levels. It's not like you're going an extra million candlepower, but better lighting is just a safer night outing.

I've been thinking about this with my resto on my 85. If I can hide the relays properly, I may just do a factory look upgrade on the headlights. They're not very bright in comparison now that the newer cars have HID lamps darn near standard everywhere now.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
With the relays you are adding battery power so you do not have the minimal voltage drop through the headlight and dimmer switch. If you are going to go to that much work for stock headlights I don't see much of a gain in illumination on a stock system. I think upgrading from what I have read would be a better place to spend your time and money. That is the direction I am going with my 4 headlight system

• Agree

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
With the relays you are adding battery power so you do not have the minimal voltage drop through the headlight and dimmer switch. If you are going to go to that much work for stock headlights I don't see much of a gain in illumination on a stock system. I think upgrading from what I have read would be a better place to spend your time and money. That is the direction I am going with my 4 headlight system
If your goal is to LOOK stock on the outside, then you got to work within the boundaries. 90% of the work would be in the relay setup itself. It doesn't matter which lamps you're using. You can always upgrade the bulbs later if you choose. But you will get maximum voltage to the lamps either way. Which equates to more light than the stock system. Even if you did the lamps first, you'd still be choking them until you did the relay upgrade.

We may be saying the same thing coming at it from different angles.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The Hella conversion lens are glass so they last and give a beam pattern. I have had my Hella lens for about 5 years and I tried the junk chinese lens before that

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Another worthwhile upgrade is to find the ground junction point near the drivers headlight. Cut the puny 18ga off that feeds like 6, and upgrade it to a 10 or 12ga. to the ground point on the inner fender. Open up the split loom and you'll see what I'm talking about.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor