Headlight Upgrade???

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah its a pain to have to cut the headlight bucket but I've had mine for a while and i have no issues i prepped mine so water doesn't get in and i don't have any leaks or discoloration or flaking of the chrome in mine and everyone who has seen it loves them and here in NY cops don't bother with how bright they are they have better things to do lol.

whats the price on a GOOD kit, not a made in china kit? i found sylvania made some and they go for like 600 bucks!

http://suvlights.com/product_info.php?products_id=268

so why the huge discrepancy in prices between this and ebay kits? i get the ebay kits will have cheap headlight housings but everything else should be the same technically.

this is why i have not yet made this conversion, i dont want to buy some made in china kit made with the cheapest parts available.

so are the sylvanias overpriced or are the ebay kits chinese junk?

That looks to be over priced. They offer 4 lenses and only one set of HID lites. The hi beams they offer is a 55 watt bulb with no ballast so it's not an HID. The hi/lo lite has no description if it's a bi-hid. If you look at the add it says it's the second generation of HID but the only upgrade from the 1st generation is the lense itself offering a 30% more lite. Also Osram is a company that has manufacturing in many places including china. I guess Sylvania hooked up with Osram on this one.

What I did is get good lenses and I buy my lites and ballasts locally for a guy who warranties the stuff. The lites and ballasts I get are from Japan, or at least that what's on the products..

Well I have the Xenon kit if its Chinese junk then cool cause it works well on my car I've never had any issues with it and I also have some other friends who have 69 camaro,70 Duster and so on and they bought the same kit I have off of ebay and they as well have no issues I payed for my whole kit about $130 to $140 for 4 headlights,Xenon Hi/Lo 35w 6000k kit,wire adapter and hid relay kit and yeah I had to cut the headlights bucket for the back part of the headlights to fit but it only took like 20mins for all 4 to get done.

if you want to get the advantage of the HID bulb you need a lense that will throw a pattern beam which those chinese clear lenses do not. I have used both types of lenses and I would not have spent the extra money if there was no benefit. I know people who have been ticketed for those clear lenses with HID's for altering their headlite system. The newer vehicles that have a clear lense and a pattern beam have hid's that are made for that vehicle and are rather expensive to replace. If you just want a bright lite to look cool then the clear lenses will suit your purpose. The HID with the most luminance is the 5000k bulb, I run a bi 6000k but I'm picking up some bi-xenon 5000k bulbs this week to try them out.

there are projector style headlight housings besides the clear non projector housings. i'm guessing a projector headlight housing would be better?

and i have seen some kits for about 135 bucks and they look pretty legit. im finding you really have to look and read a lot in order to find the right listings for the real kits vs the hid look alikes.

phillips has HID sets and are legit but there are certain features you have to look for like each of their kits has a code you can verify on their site as being their as well as the connectors being KET not AMP the bulbs saying phillips made in germany. there are some kits that look like the phillips kit but looking at the contents of the package you can see it's a cheap knockoff. the chinese text all over the box isnt a dead give away... :roll:

i have other things to do before upgrading my headlights anyway so i have time to look into this before making a purchase.

I just installed the painless wiring headlight relays to run non-sealed beam light (H4) this weekend. The "housings" I have (which came from year one) have the colored halo thing. I did it for giggles, but now wondering if I should keep the puerto rican day parade bicycle look....

I wired it to the parking lights, so they blink w/ the turn signal and look extreme-cheese.

http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/fbshopmain2.asp?hid=B14AS78905

JBreu said:
Are there direct fit/plug in replacement upgrades now available for our G-Body cars??? I have seen some of the "plug and Play" deals on E-Bay..... 8)

I myself was going to jump right into getting HID lights for my ride but then I came across some forum I found on Google when I was looking up sealed beam H4 HID conversions and there I found this website http://www.danielsternlighting.com
I went on the website and read it all the way through top to bottom and the guy Daniel seemed like he knew what he was talking about and doing when it came to upgrading outdated head lights and wiring harness. So I sent him an email telling him my idea and plans and this is the email he sent back and why I am going to buy the light housing and anything else I need including the upgraded headlight wiring harness.

Yes, the 165mm x 100mm lamps are correct for that car, H4 high/low and H1 high. Your nighttime seeing will be _considerably_ safer and easier once you have installed these lamps.

If you stay with stock wiring, you absolutely must stick with regular-wattage bulbs, and even that is pushing it because GM specified low-wattage sealed beams with corresponding light-duty wiring. Options in regular-wattage H4 bulbs are plain ($9), high output ($13) or ultra high output ($18). H1 is plain ($9), high output ($11) or ultra high output ($15.50). Given the thin original wiring, you will want to put in headlamp relays whether or not you intend to increase bulb wattage over the stock level. This can be achieved with relay kit RIK-4, $59. The RIK is not a harness, but a _parts kit_ containing all relays, brackets, terminal blocks, terminals, plugs, sockets, fuses and fuseholders. You supply your own wire and use the parts from the kit to build up your own wiring harness. Specific instructions are provided, and the concept is explained at http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech ... elays.html .Parts are specially made premium-grade items (e.g. ceramic headlamp sockets) that accept large-gauge wire; this is not the "consumer grade" junk you can find at the parts store. Or, I can have my harness builder custom build you a ready-to-install harness assembly using the same components. Cost for this option is $139 (including parts and labour - you pick _either_ the relay kit _or_ the custom-built harness. It costs more than the $30 to $50 Chinese prefab harnesses because it is not a Chinese prefab harness). Either way, the in-car switches continue working normally, and you will not need to cut or otherwise disturb any of the vehicle's original wires.

If you upgrade the wiring one way or the other, use Osram 70/65w H4 bulbs ($22/ea).

GM introduced daytime running lights for 1995. If you are interested in having (or keeping, after you install headlamp relays) a daytime running light function on your vehicle, the best implementation is the full-time operation of the front directional signals (except, of course, when they are operating as signals). Directional signals produce a light distribution with a wide conspicuity angle, are generally well located for DRL service at the outboard edges of the front of the vehicle, consume considerably less power than any headlamp-based DRL implementation, use light sources of generally much longer life than any headlamp bulb, do not encourage improper nighttime use of lights, and do not require additional lighting devices to be added. Most recent Cadillacs, Chevrolet/GMC large vans and minivans, some Toyota and Lexus models, certain new Lincolns and assorted other vehicles use this implementation. Note we are talking about the full-time operation of the bright amber turn signals, not the dim parking lamps. Turn signal DRLs comply with US and Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standards #108 and are approved in all states, provinces, and territories.

You can easily enable this functionality in your vehicle using a DRL-1 module ($42 here, see http://dastern.torque.net/Mods/DRL/DRL1.html )

Reactions: cbar.tx
i knew i shoulda taken pics when i installed my kit. :blam:
very simple set up, common sense if you ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor