Headliner question

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I've always used 3M Super 77 or 90.
They might work but I'd use 3M 38808 specifically designed for headliner and fabric gluing jobs. Around 15 bucks per can or so. Works extremely well.

41jx7OS%2BR5L.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Awesome these are great tips, I have some questions though! You refer to the interior code, I assume my color is the dark claret as you mentioned because from any pictures I've seen its what looks the closest to what I have BUT all of my interior codes refer to it as Ruby red but I can't seem to find anyone who has that color. Could they be one in the same?

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
Well, Oldsmobile used Dark Claret for code 79C. Yours may be called something else. Same color.

What year is your car? You can check the SPID sticker in the trunklid if it's 84-88. assuming it's still there it should list all your option codes. If it's 85-88, it's 79C I'm betting. I think Chevy called this the Ruby Red, but not 100% sure on that. If it's code 77C it's pre-85 and would likely match the Dark Maple.

Sorry, I'm not quite fluent in Monte Carlo specific stuff. I speak Oldsmobile language mostly. :)

lp08ss

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2018
My car is a 1988 and the sticker is still there on the trunk lid, I don't see a 79C though. I think mine is 79T but I'm assuming that's it because all the other 79 codes are things like trim color, seat belt color etc but I can't find a description for 79T. And no worries your current language seems to be helping out just fine! Hahah
Well, Oldsmobile used Dark Claret for code 79C. Yours may be called something else. Same color.

What year is your car? You can check the SPID sticker in the trunklid if it's 84-88. assuming it's still there it should list all your option codes. If it's 85-88, it's 79C I'm betting. I think Chevy called this the Ruby Red, but not 100% sure on that. If it's code 77C it's pre-85 and would likely match the Dark Maple.

Sorry, I'm not quite fluent in Monte Carlo specific stuff. I speak Oldsmobile language mostly. :)

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
First two numbers are the important piece. 79 interior code is Dk Claret/Ruby Red. The letters are colors for certain components of the interior or trim or striping. If the last one is a number, like 794, I think that signifies leather colors. Your 79T should indicate ruby red vinyl top color. Does yours have a red top? Letters like N, R, V and such indicate vinyl. I haven't memorized them all.

It can get confusing real fast.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Here is how to understand the 00X for intierior codes. (From my parts bible)
Combination Number Coding: Thefirst two numbers indicate the basic color, i.e. 19=black. The third number of letter indicates the typeand design level as follows:
Cloth & vinyl: B-C-D-E-G-H-J
Vinyl: N-R-V-W-Y-Z

Reactions: 2 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Regardless of where you get your headliner material from I would suggest getting some material samples just to verify a match, for me I was trying to match a new factory interior from an unknown Gbody so codes did not apply but I got 4 samples and one was a perfect match.

Reactions: 1 users

lp08ss

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2018
First two numbers are the important piece. 79 interior code is Dk Claret/Ruby Red. The letters are colors for certain components of the interior or trim or striping. If the last one is a number, like 794, I think that signifies leather colors. Your 79T should indicate ruby red vinyl top color. Does yours have a red top? Letters like N, R, V and such indicate vinyl. I haven't memorized them all.

It can get confusing real fast.
Exactly I do indeed have the vinyl top!

lp08ss

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2018
Thank you guys so much for the schooling it all makes sense! I'm a young guy so I'm unfamiliar with some of this older stuff lol

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
If you have never done this job before and want to tackle it, seek help from someone nearby you that's done this sort of thing before. It's not real difficult, but if you haven't learned the ropes, you may get in over your head real fast. I'm not trying to discourage you, but there's a bit of finesse and learning curve you have to do with these stupid G-body headliners. The headliner was put in the car when the windshield was yet to be put in. Made it real easy. You can pull it out the passenger side but you may have to remove the passenger seat or recline it if you're lucky enough to have recliners. Bench you may need to remove the entire seat, not sure. I removed the non-reclining bucket on the passenger side of my 87 442 when I did that headliner.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor