Health issue

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
When I read your situation it hit a little close to home. Still not entirely sure how to respond, especially after all the time reading or commenting in your posts. We may have never met in person, but you're part of the internet family at this point.

It's ironic that before you even got to explaining your treatment plan the whole tavr thing entered my mind - our 'off cable grid' TV has been playing commercials for it lately and it popped into my head when you talked about the situation. From their promo materials the recovery time for it is very, very quick. "You won't even miss your weekly golf date" Hopefully it will go as easily and speedily for you as they say.

In the meantime, I guess all I can say is you'll be in thoughts and prayers until you're recovered back on the other side. Just know you've got an internet family here pulling for you and ready to offer whatever support we can give.

Reactions: 4 users

1983calais

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2015
Tiffin, OH
I wish you and your family the best outcome. I don’t know you personally but the only things in life that mean anything are family (whether they are blood or just someone important in a persons life) and one’s health. You are part of this forum and I see quite a bit of family here, which you are a part of. I will be thinking of you and keep us posted.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Thanks for all the kind words of support guys. It means a lot even though we've never met.

This whole thing is happening so fast. Wednesday is coming up quick. I look at all the projects that I had planned for the Summer. Thinking they might not get done by me sucks. Ive always made this strange little joke. Wife was an ER nurse for 30 years, daughters a paramedic that has 2 cardiac arrest saves in a little over a year. Son and his wife do x rays and MRI/CTs. My job ? Im the chronic patient. This will be my 5th surgery and I still have to have the damn kidney stones removed. SMFH.
The hospital Im going into has a good rep for heart issues. One of the best in my area and theyre almost an hour away. I think they have a 2% mortality rate and from what my wife says that not bad. Really good if I dont add to that. LOL
Ive been reading up on the procedures since Monday. Watched a ton of videos from hospitals all over the country. It seems like the biggest risk from all of the choices is stroke. A tiny piece of calcium from the valve can break off and travel right to the brain. That would suck. I'd never want to be a burden to my family. Thats been weighing heavy on my mind. Ive been out in the garage working on the 81 to keep my mind busy but that thought has been constanly there. The stress of just that has been making me feel like crap.
Today Im still trying to finish the engine harness. Gotta wire the 6AL into the existing split loom and figure out where Im going to mount it.
Its a pretty nice day here. I might even take the wagon out for a quick ride.

Reactions: 5 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
I've been there many times as well. Mostly spinal stuff for me. Lots of expensive titanium in me. No heart stuff.... yet. Also major cancer surgery. Honestly I don't even worry about the procedures anymore. It's weird. I just wait till they give me twilight juice. Then wheel you in and a little countdown 100, 99, 98..... and bingo you wake up and it seems like 2 minutes went by. But I am a strange dude, so I've been told. Take your quick ride and relieve some stress.

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I've been there many times as well. Mostly spinal stuff for me. Lots of expensive titanium in me. No heart stuff.... yet. Also major cancer surgery. Honestly I don't even worry about the procedures anymore. It's weird. I just wait till they give me twilight juice. Then wheel you in and a little countdown 100, 99, 98..... and bingo you wake up and it seems like 2 minutes went by. But I am a strange dude, so I've been told. Take your quick ride and relieve some stress.
I know what you mean about going under. I had a "touch" of cancer myself back in '08. The surgery was 5 1/2 hrs. Woke up in the recovery room. When I walked away from my wife and two kids they were all I was thinking about. I remember telling the surgeon just get me back to my family. If I need any interventional surgery on Wednesday I will most likely tell the guy the same thing. My kids are adults now but I want to be around to eventually see my grandkids when they finally come.
Things like this make you forget about every material thing in your life.

Reactions: 5 users

Oldcarjunkie

Greasemonkey
Feb 4, 2022
Fate,Texas
My sister had bypass heart surgery and a heart valve.
She had a lot more energy and felt stronger afterwards.
The surgery has to be done so just make a list of things you want to do after recovery.

Reactions: 1 users

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
One thing to keep in mind is, while you have your actual blood family (and family by marriage) all of us on this forum also have a bond of being family. Like ck80 said, "We may have never met in person, but you're part of the internet family at this point". Very well said. You have a lot of prayers from all of us here and we are anxiously awaiting your full recovery.

Reactions: 1 users

79 GP 4 speed

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2017
I had my aorta and aortic valve replaced 20 years ago. I was 27 at the time. I see my cardiologist every year and everything still looks good. Even after the surgery and you recovered stay busy.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor