Heater Control Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

leefybeaver

Apprentice
Jul 23, 2012
Canada
Hey, I'm looking for some info on the HVAC unit in the picture. I am assuming that this is all operated by vacuum because there are no cables. When the car was stripped under the hood a lot of the vacuum tube and canisters (???) were disconnected or removed. Is there any write ups or documentation on how these systems work? Or can anyone out there with this system snap some pics of it for me so I can try and get this going.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0118.JPG
    IMG_0118.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 359

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
What car (year/make) did it come out of? Maybe somebody with a service manual can find it. I can say I haven't seen one before.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
That is the VERY rare touch heater control unit. They were offered in Buicks. I had a Regal Limited that had one. It was problematic but they sure do look cool. Kirbans performance had a book that had some info on them. I looked here for that book but I think it went with my last GN I sold.

leefybeaver

Apprentice
Jul 23, 2012
Canada
That control unit is in my 1984 Regal Limited. It all functioned before the tear down so I'm hoping if someone has a service manual with some information of these setups I can make it work again. Like i said before I think its vacuum operated and I'm pretty sure is still have all the vacuum pods. I suppose I could just start start hooking up vacuum lines and see what happens but \i'd rather not!
I do think its a cool unit for the period, so I would also like to avoid swapping it for a standard cable system, and I cant see that being a quick job either.Again any input will help. Thanks

Dino G

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
I bought one of those units in hopes of putting it in my cutlass..any info you come across please share.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I bought one of those units in hopes of putting it in my cutlass..any info you come across please share.

I have had several of these cars with that climate setup, and best advice to you is search ebay for a chassis service manual, it is a couple volume 3 ring binder set and we'll worth the money. Nobody is remanufacturing/reproducing the relays to my knowledge, it's a scrounge the parts from broken cars situation if something breaks so be careful of those pieces.

Word of warning: this unit APPEARS on its face to be the same as you might find in a buick riviera of the 1985-down vintage, and people sell them as the same, BUT THEY ARE NOT INTERCHANGABLE. Be weary of that when purchasing them or spares such as the electronic relays that plug on top of the climate box, etc - many unscrupulous sellers see the similar looking stuff and list it on an auction, often attaching the "grand national" label to drive up bidding.

As far as a conversion goes, someone needs the harness parts, climate box from the firewall, the whole nine yards to make the switch - much more than just the head unit.

sprintcarfan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 14, 2013
Vallonia,IN
I have the same setup in my T-type. I have the service manual, but I can't seem to find the G-body ETCC section, only the C,H, and B-body section. I can take some pics, but most of it is hidden by the dash. Your control unit looks exactly the same as mine, with the exception of Fahrenheit vs Celsius units.

86regaldrvr

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 15, 2015
Southern Ontario
I don't know if it's different in my 86 Regal Limited, but the control and radio will be out in the near future and could snap some pictures of hoses and connections as it comes apart, it looks very similar to the one you posted. Everything still lights up in the HVAC control and it all works.

The radio/cassette player is locked into tape mode so I am going to pull it to see if can be salvaged. The dual exhaust, roller timing chain sounds nice and all but it gets pretty quiet with no radio.

86regaldrvr

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 15, 2015
Southern Ontario
post your pics please

Got a chance to have a look at the HVAC control unit/radio and snap some pics. If they don't show what you need, let me know the location and we will try to get it. I was surprised that there is only a wiring harness and no vacuum connections to the control. Vacuum lines on the heater housing run out from a connection block but not much is showing as to where they go.

First picture, backside of the control unit, second, RS on the heater housing near the kick panel looking thru the glove box, third, junction block of vacuum lines.

. DSCF0015.JPG DSCF0022.JPG DSCF0024.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor