Heater Valve Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjpj1979

Apprentice
Sep 16, 2009
Houston, Tx
Hey guys is it necessary to have a heater valve? Do i have to have vacuum to my A/C control unit for my heater to work?
Thanks!

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
pjpj1979 said:
Hey guys is it necessary to have a heater valve? Do i have to have vacuum to my A/C control unit for my heater to work?
Thanks!

The heater valve is a normally open valve that only closes when the A/C is on the Max Cold position. It is not necessary for the heater (or even the A/C) to function. You do need vacuum to the control head, however, since the various doors in the HVAC box under the dash are vacuum controlled. These doors divert the air from floor to vents to defrost. Without vacuum, the system defaults to a combination of defrost and floor airflow. Note that the temp control door is cable operated, not vacuum.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The heater valve is in the heater line going to your heater core that you open and close to varying degrees depending on the amount of heat you want in the car and it's controlled by vacuum......if you don't have a heater valve and the heater lines are still hooked up then you'll have constant hot air blowing inside the car

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I used to have a 79 monza with no valve. And it got damn hot it there is the summer. I tried unplugging the fan, that helped a bit. I eventually just started bypassing the heater core in the summer because I was roasting in that thing. But, that was my first car, and I didn't know about those valves lol.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
pontiacgp said:
The heater valve is in the heater line going to your heater core that you open and close to varying degrees depending on the amount of heat you want in the car and it's controlled by vacuum......if you don't have a heater valve and the heater lines are still hooked up then you'll have constant hot air blowing inside the car

Sorry, but you are incorrect. Read my post above, or better yet, a factory Chassis Service Manual. The heater valve ONLY closes when the A/C is on Max to get the most cooling. At all other times, it is fully open.

pjpj1979

Apprentice
Sep 16, 2009
Houston, Tx
What heater valve can I use for my car that will work with a chevy motor?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
it doesn't matter what motor your using...it depends on what controls the heater valve, most operate by vacuum

pjpj1979

Apprentice
Sep 16, 2009
Houston, Tx
I understand that, my operates on vacuum as well but is there a heater valve i can use besides the one that was on my 307? My fittings on my eldebrock intake are different from my 307 intake. I can't use the stock heater valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor