HELP HEI questions. I failed at searching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Pulled the cap and rotor off saw some corrosion on the cap used some sand paper to clean it same with the rotor and made sure the rotor button was contacting the cap. Even so shouldn’t it at least spark somewhat considering electricity jumps gaps?

I always have a new rotor and cap to put on if I have problem. My 85551 had alot of rust on the reluctor and other metal parts so I got out the sandblaster and cleaned off the rust without taking the distributor apart or removing the magnetic pickup, after the sandblasting I cleaned out the distributor and put it in the car with a new cap and coil and fired it up.

Reactions: 1 user

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
1577988535990.png

About this much??

• Winner
  • Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Plug gaps like that are NEVER in the wrong thread :LOL:

• Agree
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
One could also pull the coil cap to expose the terminals, put a DVOM on the tach lead, and see if the module is triggering the coil: one side to ground, other lead to tach, DVOM set to AC, look for 1-4VAC while cranking.

Reactions: 1 users

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
Another thing to check is the power and ground for the distributor is good.....
Power and ground are good as is the connection and wires.

Reactions: 1 user

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
One could also pull the coil cap to expose the terminals, put a DVOM on the tach lead, and see if the module is triggering the coil: one side to ground, other lead to tach, DVOM set to AC, look for 1-4VAC while cranking.
So one lead to the ground on the coil itself and the other lead to the tach output from my distributor looking for 1-4v ac while cranking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor