HELP HEI questions. I failed at searching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
This. Cleans stuff up nicely.

71XzDdCNHvL._AC_SX425_.jpg
That’s exactly what I used worked out great

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
If it backfires out of the carb, it's too far retarded (like me!). Olds like a lot of initial, so crank in 12-18⁰ with the advance unplugged. Then, shoot for 34-36 total. Plug the advance back in, and you may see as high as 45-50, which is okay as long as there's no pinging under load.
Interesting. Since the firing order is counter clockwise turning it clockwise advances it and counter retards it right?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I would check to make sure you got the plug wires on right. If it is so far advanced to fire out the carb it should be hard to turn over, especially once there is some heat in the engine

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Interesting. Since the firing order is counter clockwise turning it clockwise advances it and counter retards it right?
Yes
I would check to make sure you got the plug wires on right. If it is so far advanced to fire out the carb it should be hard to turn over, especially once there is some heat in the engine
With 8 to 1, unless has about 75 degrees, it won't run bad, won't backfire and will not be hard starting. I ran into that on my stock 7.9 to 1 Olds 350. I fired it up when I changed the distributor, ran a bit shitty, high idle and hard starting. I had 52 degrees base timing, so 75 degrees with mechanical and at least 20 degrees vacuum advance.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Believe it or not the 260 in my 88 ran best with close to 70 degrees. Of course running 91 non octane and no power up top anyways along with 7.8 to 1 and a tiny peanut cam. I guarantee his timing is very retarded and needs much more. When I tried running a sbc swirl port TBI tune on a 8.5 to 1 Olds 350, anything below 10 degrees base ran horrible. It would not even start at the factory sbc 0 setting, 2 to 5 degrees backfired badly through the throttle body. I ended up with 19 degrees base, put timing in the mid 50's part throttle. On a sbc or the sbd, timing anywhere close to that would cause high speed detonation, trust me, happened on my 77 Dodge Van.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Believe it or not the 260 in my 88 ran best with close to 70 degrees. Of course running 91 non octane and no power up top anyways along with 7.8 to 1 and a tiny peanut cam. I guarantee his timing is very retarded and needs much more. When I tried running a sbc swirl port TBI tune on a 8.5 to 1 Olds 350, anything below 10 degrees base ran horrible. It would not even start at the factory sbc 0 setting, 2 to 5 degrees backfired badly through the throttle body. I ended up with 19 degrees base, put timing in the mid 50's part throttle. On a sbc or the sbd, timing anywhere close to that would cause high speed detonation, trust me, happened on my 77 Dodge Van.

how did you set the timing at 70?

• Winner

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the reason I asked how you set up the timing is because each spark plug terminal is 45 degrees apart so to have the timing set at 70 degrees you are past #2 and close to #7 on the distributor cap

cablage.gif

Last edited:

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Good God, my SBC would balk at anything past 15 degrees initial.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor