Help !!! 4.3 to v8 swap fuel pump problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
87a is not used on a spdt relay in this application. You can get a spst relay too. Then there is no 87a.

This is why I gave him a part number. Don't confuse the situation, the way I explained it works perfectly, and this relay is usually easier to find.

Yes you could use an 87A relay, in fact there's 100's of relays that could work.

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
I can't find it on the autozone website

This relay is super common, but they must have it under a different number. Your local parts store can cross reference this number to whatever they keep. If you google the number you will get a picture of what you're looking for. Even if you find a 4 terminal relay that looks the same it will still work, all the terminals will be labelled the same.

Borg warner's part number is R681, if this helps at all

87chevyboy

Master Mechanic
Sep 1, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
This relay is super common, but they must have it under a different number. Your local parts store can cross reference this number to whatever they keep. If you google the number you will get a picture of what you're looking for. Even if you find a 4 terminal relay that looks the same it will still work, all the terminals will be labelled the same.

Borg warner's part number is R681, if this helps at all
Thanks brotha

87chevyboy

Master Mechanic
Sep 1, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Go to your local parts store and pick up a bosch relay number 0-332-019-150 (or equivalent.) Wire it like this:
Terminal 30 - fused power from battery (25A, 14ga wire minimum)
Terminal 85 - Ground
Terminal 86 - Key on power (fused 10A)
Terminal 87 - Fuel pump positive
Terminal 87 - Not used

There are 2 terminals labelled 87, you only need to use one. Typically the 87 terminal in the center of the relay will be unused. It's a good idea to get a harness that fits this relay, less chance of shorting things out.
So do I run the positive fuel pump wire all the way to the front where the relay go's ?

87chevyboy

Master Mechanic
Sep 1, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
Take the wire from the pump, and hook it to the relay, terminal 87.

The only thing you need from under your dash is key on power. Preferably not one that has power when you turn the key back to ACC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor