Help! Car stripped, planning the restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEVILSorchard

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 22, 2014
If it was originally lacquer, and most were, you need to get it off if you're going to do it right. Not a matter of if it will fail, it's when it will fail.

None of the major paint manufacturers recommend refinishing over lacquer, even with a sealer applied.

Well this I did not know.
Guess this is the beginning of a build thread and I already have a good start at it and its currently marinading in paint stripper. (try furniture stripper if you ever do this, same product as aircraft stripper but cheaper)

I am still very curious if rustoleum would be a very bad idea or somewhat acceptable for the interior.
that stuff seems to react to nothing and I cant see the interior being exposed to anything that would hurt it years later. Although Ive never used it for anything other than wheel barrows, anyone have any experience with this?

I thank you all for your input, I think I could spend a lifetime reading and learning from that link you'd left me with.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Rusty takes FOREVER to dry

DEVILSorchard

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 22, 2014
Rusty takes FOREVER to dry

Thanks
Guess if I'm going to walk the mile I should just see it through the right way.

Ive made choice to just skip replacing the driveline ive had my eye on for the time being and focus on make this a solid roller to build on. At least this isn't a four door that's where the bulk of my time went on my subaru.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor