Help oil pressure drops while driving, car dies

Status
Not open for further replies.

zdeckich

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
so right now typing this I'm on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck, but driving my 78 Malibu 350sbc drives just fine with the 0 problems, start to accelerate onto the free way car sputters and back fires and car dies, can't get it to restart and my oil pressure won't go above 10psi trying to crank it, so leads me to believe pump is ok but maybe bad crank bearing? Car made not tapping or clunking noses at all, add 1qt of oil and nothing. Car is getting fuel

zdeckich

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
Yea spark is my 2nd guess, just got picked up off the busy free way, probably check into that this weekend. Thanks

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If the coil has a problem it could overheat causing the module to overheat and shut down. My ignition module went in protection mode and would work again once it cooled down. It took me a while to figure out the coil was causing the issue

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
hopefully you made it home alright.

You can perform a few quick checks with a meter on the coil and module to see if they are defective. If it starts back up once its cooled off, I'd suspect the module. I'm assuming you have an HEI..

Reactions: 1 user

zdeckich

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
The car was running for only 2-3min and would never start, and still won't. Cost me $175 to tow it home and I'm 3 miles away

zdeckich

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
So tried to crank it over this AM and the oil pressure goes to 17-20psi but still wont start. So oil pressure is good. Has to be ignition. Ill look at it tonight when i get off from work. Thank you all for the input and help.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The car was running for only 2-3min and would never start, and still won't. Cost me $175 to tow it home and I'm 3 miles away

that's more than it costs me for CAA, why not look into AAA and there's some perks that go along with the towing, Napa gives me 10% off with my CAA membership

• Agree

zdeckich

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
that's more than it costs me for CAA, why not look into AAA and there's some perks that go along with the towing, Napa gives me 10% off with my CAA membership

I have towing service on my insurance, gave them a call they said 4-6 hours before they could come pick up the car. Didnt want to wait that long. Just called a local towing company they said they could be there in 20min. so just went with them.

commandercool86

Apprentice
Apr 2, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
I have towing service on my insurance, gave them a call they said 4-6 hours before they could come pick up the car. Didnt want to wait that long. Just called a local towing company they said they could be there in 20min. so just went with them.

Should see if your insurance will reimburse you for the tow. Tell them you had business to attend to and couldn't wait for their guy

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor