Help Please .. Step by Step Console swap??

Status
Not open for further replies.

YGspider

G-Body Guru
May 13, 2012
Ontario Canada Eh
I'm planing on replacing my whole Columb as well.

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
send me your email i got a diagram from evan85 a while back i can mail it to you i cant post it b/c its a pdf i also got some picks from tobyp with measurements also

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi

Attachments

• olds shifter.jpg
    olds shifter.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 630
  • shifter 2.jpg
    shifter 2.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 624
  • shifter 6.jpg
    shifter 6.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 618
  • shifter 3.jpg
    shifter 3.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 632
  • shifter 4.jpg
    shifter 4.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 618

littlerascle59

Master Mechanic
Jul 2, 2009
Mississippi
IMG_5341.jpg

IMG_5342.jpg

^^^The mount that sits farthest to the rear.

IMG_5343.jpg

IMG_5344.jpg

^^^The middle mount.

IMG_5345.jpg

IMG_5346.jpg

^^^The front mount.

The hole that's drilled for the shifter cable is about 4-5 inches forward and about 3-4 inches to the left of the front mount on the transmission hump.

littlerascle59

Master Mechanic
Jul 2, 2009
Mississippi
I'd suggest riveting down the rear mount fist and mock up the two forward mounts using the mounting holes in the console itself before you permanently weld them to the floor.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
YGspider said:
I'm about to swap out my Bench seat and Tree Shift Coloumb for a 3 speed Console and buckets as well as a new columb with no tree shift whats all the steps can anyone make a detailed acount of what they did....

Thanks

Justin

Justin,

If you have a split bench seat you will not need to add additional seat brackets, the brackets that are in the floor are all you need to mount the seats to the floor. If it is a straight bench you will need to cut the brackets from the donor or order some aftermarket ones from gbodyparts.com.

After you get your seats figured out work on the console. There was a post that had pictures from my car when I put my console in. Those measurements you can count on. Plus since you have a console car there you can refer to those same measurements and install the brackets accordingly. I spot welded mine. THere is a dimple in the floor where you will drill your hole for your shift cable, remove the cable from the donor and put it in your car.

You will hook up your linkage from your column shifter the same way to your transmission. This will allow the operation of the reverse lights. In all honesty, I cut my column shifter nub, filled with polyester filler, sanded it and you cannot even tell a difference, and I saved time and money. You will need the shifter bracket from your old car. If you use a th350 or a 2004r they are a different bracket.

I did your exact swap into a power bucket seat conversion with hurst shifters and a 4 speed trans. Just search some of my posts and you can see the way I did it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor