Help Please .. Step by Step Console swap??

Status
Not open for further replies.

YGspider

G-Body Guru
May 13, 2012
Ontario Canada Eh
I'm about to swap out my Bench seat and Tree Shift Coloumb for a 3 speed Console and buckets as well as a new columb with no tree shift whats all the steps can anyone make a detailed acount of what they did....

Thanks

Justin

littlerascle59

Master Mechanic
Jul 2, 2009
Mississippi
I haven't done the swap before because mine was already a floor shift car but be sure to measure and note the location of the bucket seat and console floor mounts before you remove them from the donor car. As far as swapping the column is concerned it shouldn't be that hard if you're mechanically inclined.

littlerascle59

Master Mechanic
Jul 2, 2009
Mississippi
YGspider said:
I dont have a donor car I got all the parts seprately.. so thats why mabey someone could shoot some pictures. Also how can you tell what Trans you have my car is a 3.8 from 1987 Canadian car would it be a 200 metric or the TH250?
I'll get ya some pics shortly but I'm wouldn't know how to identify your trans without looking at the pan or your rpo sticker in the trunk of your car.

Blue86Monte

Master Mechanic
Mar 25, 2009
St. Louis, Mo
Can you be more specific on what photos you are wanting? The car is in the garage and I can get pictures for you. Should be the same but my car is an 86 Monte.

Cory

Blue86Monte

Master Mechanic
Mar 25, 2009
St. Louis, Mo
Might not be 100% correct, but I mounted my buckets then Just mocked up the console where I liked it and put the mounts there. Are you wanted factory specs on where the mounts go? I believe there was a diagram floating around on MR.com with some detailed measurements.

UgotBronx

Greasemonkey
Nov 10, 2012
NY
When going from column shifter to floor make sure you have clearance for the NEW Shifter cable thru the floor and make sure that the original linkage for the column shifter is either removed(small bracket) or no where near the new cable or else you will go thru shifter cables like crazy from being fraid. Also a little trick in case of emergency if your floor shifter becomes busted, locked up or fraid you can always shift the car from the lower neck of the column.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor