help....think i blew a freeze plug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
if you can't figure out why you weren't overheatng on the highway with no fans you need to learn some auto basics

madmaxstyle

Greasemonkey
Jul 21, 2009
Alberta
lol
reminds me of when my honda 50 lost its oil plug out in the bush, luckily there was a trail of oil all the way back to it. Anyways I ran it till it started loosing its will to live and then walked it the last mile back to the truck. The next day I filled it with oil and it ran good after that. Scored the piston and cylinder wall a bit but no real loss of performance from that.

As long as nothing is physically broken or stuck your motor should still go.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
chicago2tacoma said:
Well I didn't have my gauge yet so I put a 7/16th brass plug into the hole on the sender instead of a coupler wit da ferrel and oil line in it...???...why's dat so weird....and I don't think I tightened it all the way so that's why it blew off......what I don't understand is my fan wasn't working the whole 15 miles and I didn't overheat I got a 180 thermastat and a huge radiator though and I was on da highway so there was a lot of air rushn through the engine bay.....but yeah the sender deffinatly restricted the oil I think a thin stream jus shot down the firewall no oil even got on da engine only where da numbers are stamped....crazy right..

Consider yourself lucky that there was some sort of restriction, otherwise that motor would be toast for sure.
As far as the overheating, at highway speeds a fan is generally not required, there is plenty of airflow just from speed.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
jrm81bu said:
Consider yourself lucky that there was some sort of restriction, otherwise that motor would be toast for sure.

you have that right....oil like water takes the path of least resistance leaving oil pressure in the engine to diminish so even if there was adequate amount of oil in the pan it does not mean the engine was not damaged

chicago2tacoma

Greasemonkey
Apr 25, 2010
redsx2434 said:
if you can't figure out why you weren't overheatng on the highway with no fans you need to learn some auto basics

Hey man you suck why you so fukn grumpy I told you I'm on here for help not constant criticisim....in april when I joined this site I new nothing about cars nothing I didbt even know what a flex plate was or how to fill da oil on a chevy 350.....but through this site and talking to freinds bak home I succesfully built this engine from nothing and it fired right up....I jus started learning dis sh*t cuz I never had anyone growing up to teach me dis kinda stuff....so if you wanna post somthing usefull wich you have still failed to do be my guest but if all you got to say is how dumb I am bout cars **** you and stay off my ****n posts.....you got it got it good....so stop woofn cuz you ain't sh*t....woof woof....stop sellen woof tickets tryin to bait me into an argument....go play on facebook if you wanna do stupid sh*t....I consider this site almost like a place of bussines for real sh*t so stop wit da kid shiit

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
chicago...I can read and understand your posts and that makes me almost feel like I'm bilingual... :rofl:

If i were you I'd drain the oil and look for any metal particles....if none I'd remove all the spark plugs and pour some light oil down the cylinder and take off the valve covers and pour oil over the rockers and then get the oil pumped through the engine and turn the engine over by hand before trying to start it.

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
my mother would know not to bother driving the car and stop the car after you loose oil pressure, its doesn't take a damn expert

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
redsx2434 said:
REDSX2434-We're all here to learn stuff, teach others what we know and help each other out, .........Maybe you are smarter them him when it comes to cars...But Damn...Give him a break............ You have a beautiful car...Don't spoil what you have and what you can offer cuz you will not win any popularity contests with those replies......JMO of course :D

CamaroAdam73

Royal Smart Person
If i were you I'd drain the oil and look for any metal particles....if none I'd remove all the spark plugs and pour some light oil down the cylinder and take off the valve covers and pour oil over the rockers and then get the oil pumped through the engine and turn the engine over by hand before trying to start it.

X2 Exactly what i said, put in better terms. And thats exactly what you NEED to do, to make sure that engine didn't take damage.

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
it just pisses me off when people drive uninsured cars without liceses and put good law abiding people at risk

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor