Help with chassis harness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unclelchap

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 28, 2010
Lawrenceville, Ga. 30046
I hope I'm posting in the right section! I have a 1981 regal with a sbc350. Everything was running fine until during a drive I lost all power and the engine shut down. I originally thought it was my alternator so I changed it and drove out home. Upon inspecting it further, I found that the wires for the starter had melted had melted and fused together. Fast forward to me buying a new chassis wiring harness. I started taking the old stuff out and noticed there was a lot of things that was just rigged together. I don't know how it didn't set fire! Anyway I just snatched all that stuff out and figured I'd start fresh.Everything now works...except the engine won't start! I've wired the msd box per the schematic, and the starter is wired correctly, I believe. I used the Haynes book to wire the steering column. Right now the car is just sitting waiting for completion but I am lost on what to do. Can someone PLEASE HELP? I really need to get her back on the road sooner than later. Thanks in advance!

Brother Al

Greasemonkey
Jan 26, 2010
Westfield, Mass
You may have also burned through the Fusible Links... aka Ground Straps for the Engine... they are designed to protect your electrical system from frying in the event of something like you described... there typically are 3 on a GM engine... 1 from the firewall to the rear of the block... 1 from the front of the block to the framerail, & one from the starter to the framerail... If you've never replaced them, its probably a perfect time to do it... the original ones and the "good" replacement ones are made of woven copper wires coated with tin/zinc alloy. If they failed (designed to when electrical system overloads), your car shouldnt be able to start... not unless you have a serious ground issue... aka a "short"... in which case you'll have all kinds of electrical problems.

Unclelchap

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 28, 2010
Lawrenceville, Ga. 30046
Brother Al said:
You may have also burned through the Fusible Links... aka Ground Straps for the Engine... they are designed to protect your electrical system from frying in the event of something like you described... there typically are 3 on a GM engine... 1 from the firewall to the rear of the block... 1 from the front of the block to the framerail, & one from the starter to the framerail... If you've never replaced them, its probably a perfect time to do it... the original ones and the "good" replacement ones are made of woven copper wires coated with tin/zinc alloy. If they failed (designed to when electrical system overloads), your car shouldnt be able to start... not unless you have a serious ground issue... aka a "short"... in which case you'll have all kinds of electrical problems.
Thanks I'll look for those. It was starting and running fine until I took the old harness out and put the new one in. I think the "neutral safety switch" was bypassed and now I need it for the new harness. Power is at the fuse block buy when I turn the key power is lost and nothing happens at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor