Help with electric trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

buick7332

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2014
N.E. Philadelphia area
I have a Grand Prix with a Pontiac 400. I went to start it and after it cranked for a few seconds it just went dead completely. No power at all. Nothing, not even the dome light. So I was assuming the battery took a sh*t. I put in another battery and when I went to install the negative cable it arced severely. I recently installed a new starter and it was working great. A local very reputable shop built the starter. What should I be looking for that caused the battery to arc like that? I did not hook it up wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 15865314209442130805052128764207.jpg
    15865314209442130805052128764207.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 239

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
DIDN'T LIKE MY FIRST ANSWER? If the battery arcs that bad, there is a dead short somewhere. Check your cables THOROUGHLY.

I can't understand the pigheadedness sometimes. "The battery is new" "A reputable shop rebuilt it" "The starter is brand new" (could be 3 years old). NONE OF THAT MEANS SQUAT! You have to look and test.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

buick7332

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2014
N.E. Philadelphia area
DIDN'T LIKE MY FIRST ANSWER? If the battery arcs that bad, there is a dead short somewhere. Check your cables THOROUGHLY.

I can't understand the pigheadedness sometimes. "The battery is new" "A reputable shop rebuilt it" "The starter is brand new" (could be 3 years old). NONE OF THAT MEANS SQUAT! You have to look and test.
Sorry I didn't think that first post went through my phone is acting up, anyway a visual inspection of the wires looks good down to the starter . i took the battery from my buick and I think that got fried, I'm packing up for the day winds are 50mph tommorow I'll pull the starter and check further

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Sorry I didn't think that first post went through my phone is acting up, anyway a visual inspection of the wires looks good down to the starter . i took the battery from my buick and I think that got fried, I'm packing up for the day winds are 50mph tommorow I'll pull the starter and check further

deanlemans81

G-Body Guru
Sep 7, 2010
Acton Vale, Quebec, Canada
Any updates.

I have a similar set-up i my Lemans and had a similar problem 2 years ago. The main positive stud on the starter solenoid had broken off and the positive cable was arcing against the block with every bump. Hopefully i caught it befor it completely shorted and burned the car to the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor