Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Cut the
Upper Filter (New).jpg
Out Side Lower Filter PN (CF!).jpg
Lower Ouside Filter (4).jpg
Lower Inside Filter (Green) (2).jpg
Cut the bottom out at the joint. It is plastic welded together, you can buy the bottom filter, refill cannister with fish tank charcoal. Other filter matirial is from the petstore too. Note the sequnce of the filter material when you take it apart. Really easy to do.

Attachments

• Cutting Open the Cannister (2).jpg
    Cutting Open the Cannister (2).jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Useful
  • Informative
Reactions: 4 users

87gbodydanny

Apprentice
Apr 1, 2023
Las Vegas
Cut the View attachment 237162 View attachment 237164 View attachment 237163 View attachment 237161 Cut the bottom out at the joint. It is plastic welded together, you can buy the bottom filter, refill cannister with fish tank charcoal. Other filter matirial is from the petstore too. Note the sequnce of the filter material when you take it apart. Really easy to ho

Cut the View attachment 237162 View attachment 237164 View attachment 237163 View attachment 237161 Cut the bottom out at the joint. It is plastic welded together, you can buy the bottom filter, refill cannister with fish tank charcoal. Other filter matirial is from the petstore too. Note the sequnce of the filter material when you take it apart. Really easy to do.
How much charcoal do you put ? So I can get all the filters at the pet store ?

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Cut the View attachment 237162 View attachment 237164 View attachment 237163 View attachment 237161 Cut the bottom out at the joint. It is plastic welded together, you can buy the bottom filter, refill cannister with fish tank charcoal. Other filter matirial is from the petstore too. Note the sequnce of the filter material when you take it apart. Really easy to do.

A lot of times they friction weld plastic parts together. The factory clamps two plastic parts together then vibrates them, the friction between the parts welds them together.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
I have a fish tank so I used the charcoal from my boxes of the stuff. Measure how much you took out and buy that qty size box. Canister should be completly full. Also wash the charcoal a

lot to get the dust out of it and let it dry before filling the canister. Note that my pictures have gray foam cut to size. I got some of the white pad from Wally Mart. The filter came from Autozonne.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Thing is, nobody knows the amount of charcoal to replace. NOBODY.

I might do one just for the heck of it. I got a few Delco canister filters, those yellow jobbies. I'll cut the canister, look inside, and WEIGH the amount of charcoal bits. Obviously it won't be an exact science, but if you need say 1 lb, 6 oz or something like that, it's always good to know when obtaining materials.

Reactions: 1 users

87gbodydanny

Apprentice
Apr 1, 2023
Las Vegas
I have a fish tank so I used the charcoal from my boxes of the stuff. Measure how much you took out and buy that qty size box. Canister should be completly full. Also wash the charcoal a

lot to get the dust out of it and let it dry before filling the canister. Note that my pictures have gray foam cut to size. I got some of the white pad from Wally Mart. The filter came from Autozonn

lot to get the dust out of it and let it dry before filling the canister. Note that my pictures have gray foam cut to size. I got some of the white pad from Wally Mart. The filter came from Autozonne.
is the filter from autozone same fit ? Or do I have to cut it ? Would you happen to have info on it

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Did a little digging around in CFR Title 40 and found some tidbit info here and there concerning evaporative fuel emission standards for gas tanks and intregal systems on cars prior to 1995 and what not. I did find it very convoluted. Not everything is neatly tucked away in one spot. This is why companies have lawyers to go through all that crap. I didn't want to go down too many rabbit holes looking at all that junk.

Synopsis--- I did come across the evap canister media has to be of a certain volume as compared to the total gallon capacity of the fuel tank. In a typical G-body using a nominal 17 gallon tank and a 5" diameter cylinder canister (I never measured, just guessing) the carbon fill must be at least 2 to 2.5" MINIMUM in height based on their capacity formulas of liters of media to gallons of fuel tank (who came up with that comparison?). It appears from the photos, it's much more than that, so it appears GM was making darn sure they could make one size canister to fit most.

The canister medium also is supposed to be designed to maintain adsorption and desorption capabilities to meet minimum evap emisison standards via testing under some pretty crazy procedures (whatever those are, as I couldn't locate any singular hard data on that in the CFR) for the designed life of the vehicle. Whatever that is. But I'm pretty sure it wasn't expected to be 40+ years.

So just testing and certifying emissions equipment for car manufacturers is WAY more intensive than most people realize. Even non-metal fuel caps have to meet porosity leak-through standards if they're above a certain size ratio to the tank so fuel vapors don't seep through the cap material into the atmosphere. (Again, who thinks of that kind of crap other than the regulatory people?)

• Useful
  • Informative
Reactions: 3 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
is the filter from autozone same fit ? Or do I have to cut it ? Would you happen to have info on it
You can use ACDelco 7026014 or equivalent aftermarket. It's also listed under ACDelco A478C. Discontinued from GM (imagine that). Listed as 4.5" in diameter.

1711800225580.png

1711800252028.png

Rockauto lists other comparable aftermarket part numbers as well.
1711800370053.png

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users

brrian

Master Mechanic
Jul 7, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
My '81 had five ports? Or two sets of two + a single. I didn't post to sell, but I'm selling both of these if it happens to be what you need.

canisters.jpg

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Here's a potential tip on those tank mounted control valves if they have a bad diaphragm. The diaprhragm CAN be changed in those, but it's a tad spooky to attempt it. The cap on those is hot glued to the base, but SOMETIMES with careful maipulations, you can get separate them and take a new one that's not tank mounted and separate that one for the new part inside. I don't know how the valves are attached or if they're "perma-welded" in. Then you can glue that sucker closed again. Not for the feint of heart, though. Just sayin'. I had a "good" working one from another car that had different hookups, and a bad one on my car, so just to see if it was possible, I swapped the good guts from one into mine and it worked. YMMV.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor