Help with my manual conversion PLEASE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tug

n00b
Mar 20, 2012
Hey Guys, great site! Ive been reading and learning quite a bit on here. Pretty impressive! Let me tell you what I have and what Im doing and maybe you can help me out.

I have a 78 Malibu that is a backhalved drag car. The wiring and fuse panel and such are not in the car. The firewall is in stock location and so is the engine. The engine is a BBC (around 550 hp) and I pulled the Powerglide out of it and Im putting a Jerico DR4 in it. I have Hooker Super Comp headers on it and I already know that I cant used the factory linkage since the z-bar wont fit.

Tim Hyatt from Hyatt Racing Clutches is building the clutch assembly. He says that using a hydraulic throwout bearing is a big no-no. The only option I have left is to use the 82-92 f-body setup. Heres where I get lost.

After researching for several weeks, I think Im supposed to use a brake and clutch pedal kit from an F-body along with an F-body clutch master and slave cylinder. I do know that GSI Interiors makes a clutch pedal for the G-body conversion that adapts to the F-body clutch master cylinder.

Lakewood makes an SFI bellhousing for the F-body and the f-body slave cylinder bolts to it with 2 bolts. BUT.... 82-92 F-body cars never had BBC's in them and Im not sure if the V8's that came in them had 153 or 168 tooth flywheels.... or if it even matters.

So, do I buy pedals from an F-body car? Or the GSR pedal for the G-body that adapts to an F-body master cylinder?

Will an F-body bellhousing work on a 168 tooth flywheel or do I need to have Tim build me a clutch with a 153 tooth ? (prefer the 168)

WIll the Jerico DR4 bolt up to the F-body bell? (Ive looked all over and cant find an answer to that. On the website, several transmissions are listed that fit the bell but I dont know which pattern the Jerico is compatible with)

Thanks in advance for all your help and advice! Greatly appreciated!

Tug

Tug

n00b
Mar 20, 2012
Oh yeah..... and if you think what Im trying to do with using F-body parts will work, any advice as to what year f-body I want to order the master and slave for would help. Ive read a lot of "this year is better than that year"

Thanks fellas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor