1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Derrik Kasinger

Derrik Kasinger Not-quite-so-new-guy

I am a new owner of a 78 olds Cutlass. I have many pictures of the car. It needs alot of body work. Major motor work needs to be done. Any help with how or where to find the body parts or Best way to fix. I would like to turn this car into a decent street/strip car..[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

2. Injectedcutty

Injectedcutty Royal Smart Person

Welcome to the forum from KY. I see the KY tags on that Cutlass....are you in the Bluegrass state as well?

From the pics, the sail panel/quarter areas look to need some serious work. Maybe post in the wanted section as well to help locating parts.

There are a bunch of knowledgeable guys here, and some with the parts you need.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. melloelky

melloelky Apprentice

projects can be/are a big undertaking and it's very easy to get overwhelmed and stall out.take sometime to figure out what you NEED and what you want out of it.there'$ a big difference.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Derrik Kasinger

Well like I said I want a street/strip car. So fiberglass body wouldn't bother me at all. Thanks for the info. I will post on another board and get some major info. This shall be a very fun and long process

5. Derrik Kasinger

Yes I am from ky. Daviess co area. This was my dad's car. I grew up in this car. She was sweet when I was a kid. My little brother bought it about 4 months ago. The decided to was way to big of a project for him. So I bought it from him and know/knew what I wanted to do when he bought it

• Like Like x 1
  6. DRIVEN

DRIVEN Comic Book Super Hero

That looks to be a very ambitious project. I totally understand the sentimental attachment. Because I haven't seen it in person and don't know your financial situation or skill set, I hope you'll take my questions at face value.
    -What do you mean by "decent" street/ strip car?
    -The body looks rusty. How is the frame?
    -Do you have the missing parts?
    -Are you paying someone else to do any or all of the work?
    -You say major motor work needed. Is that engine worth fixing?
    -Will the transmission and rearend be up to the task once you have the engine set up the way you want it?

I only pose the questions because sometimes we all get a little blinded by emotion. Sometimes its better to recognize early on that a project just doesn't make sense. I could easily see this build taking years and costing many 10s of thousands. Just some things to consider.

We'd all love to hear more details and see more pics. Everyone here enjoys an active build thread.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Derrik Kasinger

As far as being able to do the work I am doing it all myself. I can't say my kids will go to college but they will be able to say dad has one badass car. Lol. But anywho The car will be totally built by me. I can do all the work I am very skilled in auto mechanics. Motor is trash but have another block to build new motor with. Trans is being swapped for a new th350 built or a 2 speed. Rear end is being redone. Frame is perfect. Would like to know the options for changing the body to maybe fiberglass or aluminum. I have all missing parts to the car. Including the backseat. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. Injectedcutty

Ah, Owensboro area. I'm in Louisville. Listen to any recommendations/advice given gere buddy, alot of these guys have been around the sun many more times than I, and have firsthand experiences venturing into the metalwork that needs attention.
    However, I'm 6 years deep into my '87 Cutlass resto that I've had since 2001. New roof skin, quarters, rockers, etc have made it like a new car....it's at the paint shop now and should be shiney in a week or so.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Injectedcutty

I'm not sure if anyone yet offers a complete fiberglass shell. I know VFN has complete glass front end parts, hood, rear bumpers I think, decklid. That would save some weight, but not save the $$$. The car has some potential, that's for sure!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Derrik Kasinger

Thanks I appreciate it and the info. Any more you have send it my way.

• Like Like x 1