Hesitates to start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Call Her Bu

Greasemonkey
Dec 2, 2012
Arlington, TX
I have a 81 Malibu with a 283 V8 & 200R4 trans. I was wondering if anyone can help me trouble shoot the issue with the car hesitating to start every time. I have to keep pumping the gas or hold it til it starts. I've changed the fuel filter, bought a new carb and used gas treatments to help it out but I still get the same results. can anyone help? Thanks. :blam: :wtf:

MightyCarlo86

Greasemonkey
Dec 15, 2012
Im not too knowledgeable but are you sure its a fuel issue and not a problem with your ignition system?

carmangary

G-Body Guru
Oct 13, 2009
What do you consider hesitation. Mine never starts the first try after sitting awhile. Always starts the second try, though.

Call Her Bu

Greasemonkey
Dec 2, 2012
Arlington, TX
@Carmangary-But it seems like I have to keep pumping the gas and after it starts it smells like gas and smokes a lil.

@Badlad-I have an electric choke 600 edelbrock carb.

85olds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 1, 2013
setting up carbs is a fine art. lots of things need to taken into consederation, primary pull off ,secondary pull off (if it has one ) fast idle screw, tempature where you are (to set the electric choke) idle mixture screws,

if you are not sure ....take it to some one the does ......it will be well worth the money and less frustrating

Call Her Bu

Greasemonkey
Dec 2, 2012
Arlington, TX
I've adjusted the screw on the carb once the car was warmed up but it's still the same issue. I might just go to a shop that specializes in older cars rather than a late model car shop. Thanks for all the advise and tips guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor