Hey everyone, I'm new here! Check out my ride...

Status
Not open for further replies.

2000.malibu.ls

Royal Smart Person
May 11, 2008
Lake City, Florida
hey if you got the bank, go for it! I will look at my high end wheel catalogoe tomarow and see if I see anything else that might look good.

87Cutlass442

Apprentice
Oct 22, 2008
Indianapolis
midwestls said:
I like big wheels! Do it. But right.

Oh, don't worry...I shall. A good friend of mine owns a rim shop, so he's giving me all the ins and outs of them. The good part about 3-piece wheels are they're made specifically for the car...bolt pattern, offset, etc...it's a custom fit.

BUT, above all...the motor will come first. The rims will be the last thing I purchase.

87Cutlass442

Apprentice
Oct 22, 2008
Indianapolis
2000.malibu.ls said:
hey if you got the bank, go for it! I will look at my high end wheel catalogoe tomarow and see if I see anything else that might look good.

Ok, thanks! I like multi-spoked wheels a LOT (similar to the ones posted)...not a big fan of 5-spokes, though (although that fits the car well)

2000.malibu.ls

Royal Smart Person
May 11, 2008
Lake City, Florida
87Cutlass442 said:
midwestls said:

Oh, don't worry...I shall. A good friend of mine owns a rim shop, so he's giving me all the ins and outs of them. The good part about 3-piece wheels are they're made specifically for the car...bolt pattern, offset, etc...it's a custom fit.

BUT, above all...the motor will come first. The rims will be the last thing I purchase.

what kinda motor stuff you looking into?

87Cutlass442

Apprentice
Oct 22, 2008
Indianapolis
2000.malibu.ls said:
87Cutlass442 said:
midwestls said:

what kinda motor stuff you looking into?

Well, that's another one I'm undecided on...

A 350 Rocket is in there right now, BUT...I dont know whether I want to have that engine worked (cam, roller rockers, headers, bored over, etc) or to take another route. A lot of my friends have been trying to convince me to do a LS1 or LS2 set up w/a carb. set-up, but I'm not sure which would yield the most power, while also being wallet-friendly.

Any suggestions? I'd like to make around 400-450 WHP...

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
I like an Olds powering an Olds but its not what I did. I like big block cars with good gears an overdrive with lock up converter good heads and a moderate cam with a q-jet like I did with the 509 or Bob Powers did with the 455 Olds in the above link. Bob ran 12.3 at 110 mph and cruised effortlessly at 15mpg with AC. So far I ran a 12.5 at 110 mph and have gotten 17mpg. No spinning the snot out of it & low maintenence. Then again my goals are street car that I can drive on a Hot Rod Powertour or to the Year One race & car show etc which is out of state. If you are just hot rodding around town then you can do different.

Its unusual that you want that big of a rim and are also talking performance because usually they are just for looks as you cannot get the low profile tires too hook when you start makeing some real power. I always though 20s are about as large as you can go without being too big to look right with the factory body lines.

Back to the car and motor. You have a great performance platform with the full frame, 8.5 rear, reasonable weight, useable guages etc. Oh yea I hooked up the factory tach & oil pressure guage to the Cadillac motor but a 6 grand tach won't cut it for a high winding smallblock or LS motor. Another good thing about the gbody is they (the GN & 4.3tbi monte) came with fuel injection so you can get used intank pumps hangers and sending units baffled fuel injected tanks even new fi tanks so its not like old school cars where you have to do a sump and out of tank gravity fed electric. Benefit of a gbody. I like the idea and would be tempted to do a LS motor now that the aftermarket has enough support for an eazy conversion. Montecarloss.com has a sticky on it in their engines section. With the fi parts drop in ready for the gbody I would not go backward to useing a carb with a LS motor.

87Cutlass442

Apprentice
Oct 22, 2008
Indianapolis
Vern said:
I like an Olds powering an Olds but its not what I did. I like big block cars with good gears an overdrive with lock up converter good heads and a moderate cam with a q-jet like I did with the 509 or Bob Powers did with the 455 Olds in the above link. Bob ran 12.3 at 110 mph and cruised effortlessly at 15mpg with AC. So far I ran a 12.5 at 110 mph and have gotten 17mpg. No spinning the snot out of it & low maintenence. Then again my goals are street car that I can drive on a Hot Rod Powertour or to the Year One race & car show etc which is out of state. If you are just hot rodding around town then you can do different.

Its unusual that you want that big of a rim and are also talking performance because usually they are just for looks as you cannot get the low profile tires too hook when you start makeing some real power. I always though 20s are about as large as you can go without being too big to look right with the factory body lines.

Back to the car and motor. You have a great performance platform with the full frame, 8.5 rear, reasonable weight, useable guages etc. Oh yea I hooked up the factory tach & oil pressure guage to the Cadillac motor but a 6 grand tach won't cut it for a high winding smallblock or LS motor. Another good thing about the gbody is they (the GN & 4.3tbi monte) came with fuel injection so you can get used intank pumps hangers and sending units baffled fuel injected tanks even new fi tanks so its not like old school cars where you have to do a sump and out of tank gravity fed electric. Benefit of a gbody. I like the idea and would be tempted to do a LS motor now that the aftermarket has enough support for an eazy conversion. Montecarloss.com has a sticky on it in their engines section. With the fi parts drop in ready for the gbody I would not go backward to useing a carb with a LS motor.

Hmmmm...I'll definitely have to weigh my options as far as the motor goes. I've got some time, though...still gotta get Christmas and stuff knocked out of the way!

As far as the rims go, I love cars with big rims, and strange enough...22's from the crowd/atmosphere I run with, are considered small...usually it's 24's and up. There's a guy here with a '72 Impala on 26" DUB Ganja's with a Merlin 572 motor, and he...with the rims, runs high 10's/ low 11's. With them off, Jesus...

There's also a guy with a '86 Regal on 24" Asanti's, with a supercharged 431 under the hood; originally started off as a 383 with excessive motor work. Unbelievable amount of power he puts to the ground.

I'll try and get some pics/video's for you...

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
Well then I guess it depends on whether you want to hook on the street or look "good". I could see that 72 Impy with 572 getting getting embarassed on the street by a much lesser car with better traction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor