Hey now! New user here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
welcome from another NC GP owner! love the seats in that, don't see them very often! Looks like you've got a pretty solid base for a build.

Darin

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Joseph1135

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 1, 2017
IMG_0631.JPG
Thinking of this, how much modification will I have to do to make this fit?

Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Joseph,
I used to have that same shifter in my car. I ended up replacing it for a stock floor shifter.
What I liked about it, it had straight line and ratchet capability. However, I wanted something that shifted smoothly. I wasn't going to bang gears with it.
It isn't difficult to install. The one I had was actually for a 200-4R, but had been using it for a TH350.
Did you purchase it yet?

Last edited:

Joseph1135

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 1, 2017
Joseph,
I used to have that same shifter in my car. I ended up replacing it for a stock floor shifter.
What I liked about it, it had straight line and ratchet capability. However, I wanted something that shifted smoothly. I wasn't going to bank gears with it.
It isn't difficult to install. The one I had was actually for a 200-4R, but had been using it for a TH350.
Did you purchase it yet?
I haven't yet. I am wondering about the fabrication that will have to go into it

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I have the same shifter in my Cutlass, but instead with a Monte Carlo center console. The only fab work required was to notch out the shifter plate to clear the linkage on the shifter.
20140216_161454.jpg
20150505_152814.jpg
20150505_152841.jpg

I also made 1" spacers out of round tube for the rear shifter bolts. This was needed to avoid the shifter handle from hitting the console when in 1st gear.

The GP console is a little different and from the looks of it you might not need much modification to make it work.

Personally, I love my Hurst shifter! I've had it for 14ish years and have never had an issue out of it!!!!

Reactions: 1 user

Joseph1135

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 1, 2017
I have the same shifter in my Cutlass, but instead with a Monte Carlo center console. The only fab work required was to notch out the shifter plate to clear the linkage on the shifter. View attachment 72638 View attachment 72639 View attachment 72640

I also made 1" spacers out of round tube for the rear shifter bolts. This was needed to avoid the shifter handle from hitting the console when in 1st gear.

The GP console is a little different and from the looks of it you might not need much modification to make it work.

Personally, I love my Hurst shifter! I've had it for 14ish years and have never had an issue out of it!!!!
Beautiful! Thanks! This is my first build. My now ex wife wouldn't hear of me having a project. So I bought the G Body that I thought was one of the more rare ones- a Grand Prix. And here we go!

Reactions: 3 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Beautiful! Thanks! This is my first build. My now ex wife wouldn't hear of me having a project. So I bought the G Body that I thought was one of the more rare ones- a Grand Prix. And here we go!
Ya gotta start somewhere man! I've had my Cutlass since 2001, been through several transformations...the latest body off resto is 5+ years deep and hoping to have it painted by the end of the year.

Luckily, my wife has been a trooper through all of this!!!! However, I had my car back when we were just friends and she knows how much the Cutlass means to me!

Keep us posted, I'm definitely following along!

Scott

Reactions: 2 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I also had to add 1" spacers to the rear of the shifter base. I used pieces of square tubing to raise the rear of the shifter to make it level.
Is there a floor shifter in the car currently, or is a column shift car?
If there's a factory floor shift in the car, you could generally use the existing shift mounting bracket to mount the aftermarket shifter. It's quite straight forward.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor