High Idle Solenoid

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Did you try getting them out with the double nut method first? They might just break loose once the powder coating gives.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
yes,and if they're stainless there's an even better chance they're galled but you gotta see if it's worth trying it if the end result is broken parts etc etc..
No, theyre just cheap OEM steel. To be honest I was surprised when they wouldnt budge. They werent in that long and they went in pretty easy.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Did you try getting them out with the double nut method first? They might just break loose once the powder coating gives.
I tried double nuts first. Then vise grips. They were put in over a year after the powder coating was done. I guess I can borrow a stud remover but if it breaks in the manifold that will be a huge pain in the butt. Never had a bolt seize up like that.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I tried double nuts first. Then vise grips. They were put in over a year after the powder coating was done. I guess I can borrow a stud remover but if it breaks in the manifold that will be a huge pain in the butt. Never had a bolt seize up like that.
Sorry, I thought they got powder coated in when the intake was done, since you installed them after I will still try a little heat on the intake and spray some penetrating oil in the threads once it is hot.
I have never used an anti seize to install my carb studs and never had an issue with R & R but I only use aftermarket ones that are coated black (ARP, Mr Gasket)
If you can get them out but they mess up the threads in the process you Heli Coil them for a solid repair.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
No, they're just cheap OEM steel. To be honest I was surprised when they wouldn't budge. They weren't in that long and they went in pretty easy.
if they're carbon steel you've got a better chance.google candle wax bolt removal trick.it might be worth a try in this particular situation.

Reactions: 1 user

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
I'm running a crate ZZ4 with Edelbrock QJet. No idle solenoid and it doesn't kill the rpms when the AC comes on. IMO there is no need for it. As far as the rubber AC hose vs aluminum I think there is no reliability issue with any one of them. I upgraded everything and it came with the partial rubber/aluminum lines like GM did it. I prefer the partial aluminum lines (OEM) vs all black hose.

Attachments

• AsCompleted New System (4).jpg
    AsCompleted New System (4).jpg
    126 KB · Views: 121
Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I'm running a crate ZZ4 with Edelbrock QJet. No idle solenoid and it doesn't kill the rpms when the AC comes on. IMO there is no need for it. As far as the rubber AC hose vs aluminum I think there is no reliability issue with any one of them. I upgraded everything and it came with the partial rubber/aluminum lines like GM did it. I prefer the partial aluminum lines (OEM) vs all black hose.
The difference between yours and mine is I have the serpentine setup so the compressor is on the right side. Im using a Cutlass condenser and an F body line for the compressor. Ive got an aluminum line from a Cutlass but even though I took some time and polished it Im thinking a rubber line wouldnt look that bad.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have the serpentine setup so the compressor is on the right side. Im using a Cutlass condenser and an F body line for the compressor. Ive got an aluminum line from a Cutlass but even though I took some time and polished it Im thinking a rubber line wouldnt look that bad.
In that case it is probably just a personal preference, I have a V-belt set up but I moved my compressor to the passenger side and used the 307 condenser and hardline but made my AC hoses.
IMG_20210103_174830129.jpg

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I saw this today on a FB Malibu group. I dont think the rubber line looks that bad.

Attachments

• 147149232_10220899243085440_3436714498275562034_o.jpg
    147149232_10220899243085440_3436714498275562034_o.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 118
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor