High Ratio Steering Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmorman

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2008
Perry, IA
Howdy all!
I have a 1979 Monte Carlo that I have done several suspension upgrades to over the past several years. The one thing somebody mentioned was upgrading the steering box to a high ratio one from a 1985-1988 Monte Carlo SS. I've also read that there is a chance that my car already has this steering box. How do you tell? I took a picture of the steering box and I scanned the build sheet from my car. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Russ

The SS box in my SS is still too slow for my liking. I autocross and it's a handfull. I just bought a Focus ST and it's 1.8 turns lock to lock (In other words, when you turn the wheel all the way to one direction, it doesn't even come back to 12:00). I have heard that the Lee 670 box is good, but I don't know how much quicker than an F41 box it is.

SickSpeedMonte said:
The SS box in my SS is still too slow for my liking. I autocross and it's a handfull. I just bought a Focus ST and it's 1.8 turns lock to lock (In other words, when you turn the wheel all the way to one direction, it doesn't even come back to 12:00). I have heard that the Lee 670 box is good, but I don't know how much quicker than an F41 box it is.

You can put a quickener in the steering shaft, they come 1.5 to 1 and 2 to 1 ratios They use it in dirt track racing and you can make a shaft to replace it when you are street driving.

22369-color.jpg

pontiacgp said:
SickSpeedMonte said:

You can put a quickener in the steering shaft, they come 1.5 to 1 and 2 to 1 ratios They use it in dirt track racing and you can make a shaft to replace it when you are street driving.

22369-color.jpg
Cool, thanks!

I did some looking around and found a post over on Lateral-g forum that I think you're looking for (someone who actually tried the boxes). The post is: Power steering: AGR vs. LEE, 670 vs. 800, 69 BBC Camaro. ...Posted 1/3/2011, by chr2002ca. ...FYI.

Doug

A smaller diameter steering wheel will make you feel like you've got quicker steering because your hands will be moving a shorter distance than with a larger diameter wheel. :?:

rmorman said:
Howdy all!
I have a 1979 Monte Carlo that I have done several suspension upgrades to over the past several years. The one thing somebody mentioned was upgrading the steering box to a high ratio one from a 1985-1988 Monte Carlo SS. I've also read that there is a chance that my car already has this steering box. How do you tell? I took a picture of the steering box and I scanned the build sheet from my car. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Russ
Your steering box looks exactly like mine. I have the F41 set up from the factory! Four bolts on top of the steering box is the quick ratio steering box, ahla mc ss,442.
Gbarrie.

the 4 bolt cap was on all 800 boxes and they had different internal parts for different ratios and the variable ratio

pontiacgp said:
the 4 bolt cap was on all 800 boxes and they had different internal parts for different ratios and the variable ratio
WOW :shock: didn't know that! Still learning at 50. Maybe I dont have what I thought I had.
Is their any other way of telling?
Gbarrie.

Gbarrie said:
pontiacgp said:
WOW :shock: didn't know that! Still learning at 50. Maybe I dont have what I thought I had.
Is their any other way of telling?
Gbarrie.

at 50 I thought the same as you, real slow learning curve I guess....lol

the YA stamp at the end cap can tell you it's a close ratio box...but it's just as easy to turn lock to lock

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor