holley carb with primary circuits on both sides

Status
Not open for further replies.

othtim

Master Mechanic
Mar 23, 2010
Hi.

Does anyone know if Holley makes a carb with idle and primary circuits on both sides of the carb? I know normal four-barrels have an idle, primary, and high speed circuit on the prinary sides, and then something else on the secondary side. Anyone know of a carb that has idle, primary and high speed circuit on both sides? This would be for a carb with a 1:1 primary:seconadry linkage to be used in a dual-carb IR setup.

From what I'm seeing now, I'm going to end up cutting up four 4160's, if I can't find a carb like what i'm looking for that actually exists :p And then bolting them back together to create b*st*rd carbs with "primaries" on all four sides, then tying the linkages together.

Am I missing something that's going to bite me in the butt later?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I not really sure what you are attempting to do or exactly what you are looking for but a Holley 4150 style double pumper can be had with 4 corner idle and include a rear metering block and a 3 circuit model will have an idle,intermediate and high speed circuits and a 2 circuit model only has idle and high speed.
The primarys and secondarys are just locations front and rear not individual circuits.
Usually the only carbs that offer a 1:1 linkage is full on race dominators which you would not want on any street car though you could easily modify any Holley style carb to have it.

othtim

Master Mechanic
Mar 23, 2010
I'm not super familiar with holley-style carbs, as all my experience up to this point has been q-jets. I know q-jets have their idle, cruise, and high speed circuits all on the primary side. The secondary side is mostly just a high-speed circuit. I want to have a carb that has all the "driveability" stuff on both the "primary" and "secondary" sides of the carb. In other words, both sides of the carb would be "primary". Okay. I guess what I'm asking is this. Is there a way to get all of the same circuits from the "primary" side of the carb on the "secondary" side? Like the idle, cruise, and high-speed circuits, as well as all the transition stuff, and accelerator pumps. Basically the "secondary" side to mirror the "primary" side. As far as I know, that can't be done, and you'd have to cut two carbs in half and bolt two "primary" sides together. Is that true?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
It would be a Holley 4150 double pumper or a similar carb made by Quickfuel, Demon etc. they are all similar in design.
And you can't cut two Holley carbs apart and bolt them together and have a functioning single carburetor, you can however get split Dominators though.
This should be the carb style you are looking for even though there is always a primary and secondary side other than that the secondary has the same features as the primarys both having metering blocks,accelerator pumps,air bleeds, float bowls, squirters etc.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LkDssbC ... D6A7D7BFF0

othtim

Master Mechanic
Mar 23, 2010
565bbchevy said:
And you can't cut two Holley carbs apart and bolt them together and have a functioning single carburetor

I watched that video, and I see why, somewhat. I noticed on the baseplate:

http://static.summitracing.com/global/i ... 12-117.jpg

There are vacuumn passages that curve around.

Those could be plugged or re-routed, this seems easy enough. I just need the primary sides for the idle adjustment and such, not needing to actually make a functioning four-barrel carb again.

Are there any vacuumn passages in the main body that would need to be plugged and re-routed? Other that vacuum lines, are there actually any fuel circuits that would be affected by seperating the primary and secondary sides of the carb?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
You will have to explain exactly what a dual carb IR set up is and what kind of engine it is for.
Also if you have a picture of the intake that you are planning on using on it that would help or explain in detail.

Based on your replies so far this is what you are asking for:

You said you want a carb that has metering circuits on both sides of the carb with the rear being basically a mirror image of the front which I stated would be a Holley 4150 double pumper which has everything from a secondary metering block to it's own accelerator pump and can be bought with 4 corner idle giving you full adjustability of both front and rear being as equal and mirror image as you can get.

Then you state it needs these features but does not have to be a functioning 4 barrel carb.
So if it does not need to fuction as a 4 barrel then why not just run a pair of 2 barrel carbs in your dual carb set up?

You seem set to cut up 4 Holley 4160 carbs to attempt to make whatever it is you are doing and I'm pretty sure all you are going to end up with is 4 useless carbs when you are done, besides the fact since the carb was never designed to be cut in half even if that was possible how would you mount it since there would be on 2 mounting points that are not centered which would create major sealing issues to the intake.

I would like to help if I can but your reasoning makes no sense to me so you will have to enlighten me on what it is you are attempting.
Maybe you want something like this?
http://www.chucknuytten.com/carburetors ... itset3.jpg

othtim

Master Mechanic
Mar 23, 2010
EXACTLY that. Never heard of "split dominators". Seems like it might be overkill for airflow, but whatevs. thanks though. that's awesome.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
othtim said:
EXACTLY that. Never heard of "split dominators". Seems like it might be overkill for airflow, but whatevs. thanks though. that's awesome.

OVERKILL would be is the understatement of the year!
For someone who has never messed with anything but a quadrajet and never heard of split dominators and has yet to mention the application that he would need 2100 CFM or more, I'm guessing this will be a severe misapplication.
This is just a guess on cost but figure roughly $1000 per new carb X 4 plus the custom sheetmetal intake needed to properly space them will be approx. $2500+ and your linkage required etc.
I have a Quickfuel 1150 Dominator on my 565 Big Block Chevy and it works perfectly.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Brownianl said:
Doesn't demon make a carb with 4 corner idle circuits?

I already mentioned Quickfuel and Demon a long with Holley, apparently the OP wants something like this:

Attachments

• splitset3.jpg
    splitset3.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,207
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor