Honda Accord LT1 swap using G-body parts planning

Status
Not open for further replies.

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
Stoopud said:
I've had this itch to build an awd Malibu wagon using an s-10 drive train (cyclone or Bravada full time awd preferably) with either a turbo 6 or sbc. Since the rwd's share so many front suspension parts it should be fairly easy, right?

Sorry for hi-jacking, I just like the crazy dare to be different idea, and if I wanted an Accord there goes the difference part.

Check the Astro, same AWD system as the cyclone/typhoon and 1 million time's easier to come across

itsnotanova

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2008
Bastrop,Tx
How about an el camino on a 4x4 frame????Wait, I already suggested that :lol:

yourownself

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2008
stoughton, ma
i'd love to see it! are you planning on making a sleeper out of it? like, factory-esque hubcaps with old lady curbmarks and everything?

this could be either a very comical build, or a very awesome build. (just don't go the route that that spanish eclipse kid did)

please do it!

good luck!

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Are you sure it will fit? Shortening or lengthening the frame would be easy, but dealing with track width issues would be much harder to accomplish. If you are inclined to do this much fabrication, why not start with a better suspension in the first place, say an FD RX-7 or S13 240sx? More modern, better geometry and lighter weight. I'd even say scrap the Accord and just start with the FD RX-7 in the first place as it would be much easier and yield an overall better car. Then ditch the troublesome turbo 13B and use a swap kit to put the LSX and six speed in there. The cool thing is that the LS swap in an FD only adds 75lbs to the nose as compared to the 13B. Add a lighter hood and trunk mount the battery and you have the great weight distribution back with more power and better reliability.

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
That's a good idea too. But I personally like Rotary's and the 10 million rpm redline :lol:

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Well, the big issue with the FD is that the engine management is a POS. Rotaries need to run rich since they get their lubrication from the fuel, so it would seem logical to use mass air fuel injection for it's ability to adjust to minor airflow changes. However Mazda used Speed density which in this application can run lean from just changing the air filter element to a non factory one. So, engine failures from cooked apex seals are fairly common. So, you have what I think is one of the most beautiful sports cars ever made (especially in black) hamstrung by a piss poor engineering flaw. Change this issue though and you have a car with very few drawbacks.

IronyOfFate

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 29, 2008
Thanks everybody for the information and support!

I started thinking about this just a few days ago and just exploring my options at this point. I do like the RX7 and realize that a V8 RX7 would be an easy swap that can be done in a few days, but I really want a V8 Accord as it would be quite unique. I like the 2door 90-93 Accords and I do want to keep it looking stock besides the wheels and ride height.

And yea, I know I need to think about track width differences. I was thinking some bodywork can solve this but I also don't want to get into something that will take years.

Using an RX7 or S13 bottom is something I haven't really thought about yet but it seems like it would be more expensive as I would need to buy the V8 conversion parts.

EDIT: I realized that RX7 V8 conversion parts aren't that expensive, I am going to research that too, the Accord body could go on it too with some modification

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
but I really want a V8 Accord as it would be quite unique. I like the 2door 90-93 Accords and I do want to keep it looking stock besides the wheels and ride height.

I don't know how you'll do it and keep it looking stock. The front fender of the accord is at least a foot shorter and the height of the nose gotta be less than half of the G body so how much of the engine will be in the passenger compartment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor