How did EGR work with a Qjet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
Well that make sense. It's just timed in anticipation of EGR from the get go. When the engine is cold and EGR not yet flowing it won't detonate because it's cold. When you're WOT they probably never gave it enough timing to hurt itself, and as you pointed out the compression was so low in other scenarios they simply didn't hurt themselves.
No egr or vacuum advance operation at WOT, because its ported vacuum. No vacuum, no operation.

Jim Rockford

Master Mechanic
Nov 10, 2007
Shelby,N.C.
No egr or vacuum advance operation at WOT, because its ported vacuum. No vacuum, no operation.
also the ECM will be looking for a change in o2 values if you have the model with the egr solenoid. if it doesnt see a change after commanding it to open, it will throw a code.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
also the ECM will be looking for a change in o2 values if you have the model with the egr solenoid. if it doesnt see a change after commanding it to open, it will throw a code.
yes that was later on efi engines. they weren't that sophisticated in the early 80's with carbs.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
My understanding is it exists to reduce nox. Anything else is 2nd or 3rd order.
In a round about way, this is true. It's not just nox, though. The engine gets another stab at burning some of the unburnt fuel from the first time around by injecting a little exhaust gas into the engine.

Can't speak for how other engines do it, but a mid-80s VIN 9 Oldsmobile uses 2 ports underneath the Qjet for it's on or off, but also regulated, EGR valve. The EGR valve is not a straight up valve like on some other cars. There's a P or an N on top of the valve head meaning Positive or Negative back pressure operated (no P or N means it's a simple ported EGR valve that should respond to simple vacuum check).

And P EGR valve are the only ones that don't respond to testing by simply putting a vacuum source on the operating diaphragm. VIN 9 uses a positive pressure EGR valve. It's noted by the P as the very last stamping on the head of the EGR valve (talking ACDelco/GM valves only). 85 CSM says VINY and 9 use a Negative pressure EGR, but this is incorrect. They may have before, but not for 85 model year.

Contrary to most other solenoids people are used to, the V8 solenoid, when energized, CUTS OFF the vacuum signal to the EGR valve. When de-energized, the solenoid opens the vacuum supply to the EGR valve.

ECM looks to control the EGR solenoid by evaluating the inputs. 1) Coolant temp 2) TPS 3) RPM 4) TCC state of operation 5) Barometric pressure

That's ALL the ECM does for the EGR system on the V8 Oldsmobile G-cars with ECM. Sorry, never looked at other cars so I couldn't tell you how that gets interfaced. I'm sure there are other variances, but mid-80s is where I live and breathe.

I made a post about it before here, and has links to TOMCO information about Positive and Negative backpressure EGRs and how they work...

Reactions: 2 users

Burd

Greasemonkey
Apr 7, 2021
Detroit
Who runs a EGR. LOL. I’m running a Edelbrock. With their dumb logo filed off, painted Corp blue, looks stock, but adds to global warming, win win. No EGR there, And it’s made in good old USA.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Who runs a EGR. LOL. I’m running a Edelbrock. With their dumb logo filed off, painted Corp blue, looks stock, but adds to global warming, win win. No EGR there, And it’s made in good old USA.

I didn't ask cuz I wanted to run one, I was just curious how they did it with non-feedback carbs.

Reactions: 1 user

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Reactions: 1 user

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Hmm, they did away with all that testing here years ago.
Well that's good, I think California does but I don't live in the US so I could be mistaken.

Burd

Greasemonkey
Apr 7, 2021
Detroit
For those who need those part for testing, I ran across a guy in cal, he’s a bit a rip off, and he doesn’t know his parts but he has all the emission stuff. hes Sleezy though. Lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor