how do i replace my heater core in my monte ss?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find these alot easier to do than many other cars. I did one on my dad's '71 Buick Skylark some years back...what a bear. It came out from inside the car under the dash, but was bolted down from inside the engine compartment. I need to do one on my wife's '81 Capri, but that requires having to drop the dash. I'm not anxious to do that job. Although it might not be that bad, I'll have to psych myself up to do it one day soon. :?

this is what i did when i had to delete my a/c, maybe these pics will help, the job is by far the most simple heater core i have ever done.
459.jpg

458.jpg

those pics deff help get a better look of things, i found a heater core on custommontessparts.com for like $44 plus shipping..is that a good deal? or is it a little pricey?

payed $50 for mine, grab it and go. i used silcone to reseal the lide when i reinstalled everything. peal all the old sealent they used around the AC core and reseal it with expandible camping foam (The Right Stuff is what i used)

When you have it all apart make sure to clean inside and that the drain hole at the bottom is clear of mud/durt

picked one up for $27 at pep boys haha does anyone have any pics of taking the plastic cover off? and do i have to remove thewindshield wiper? what should i use to re-seal the plastic cover back on?

Theres no need to remove the wiper arms.Turn the ignition key "ON",turn wipers on,then turn the ignition key "OFF" when the wipers are halfway up the windshield.The wipers are then out of the way.When re-sealing the heater box,I use lots of silicone.The last time I used a caulking gun size tube,and I used the whole tube,if you skimp here,it could leak.
Guy

While you don't need to take the wipers off, it takes two seconds and makes removing the lower windshield trim that much easier. You'll also need to remove the two bolt on brackets for the trim above the box.

Do NOT use silicone to reseal the lid!
If you ever have to take it apart again, it will be a major pain in the *ss if you use silicone.
Use 3M's Strip Calk.

It can be tricky finding all of the screws in the top cover for the box as many of them are buried in dried old sealer.
There are also a few different sizes. Be sure to keep track of which screws came out of which holes or you'll run into problems during re-assembly.

Once the cover is off, to release the heater core just reach your hand down and push on the tab and it will come out.

X2 on Blake if you have to take it off again (to replace the evap core) your gonna break it, if you feel froggy id replace the evap core or clean it up really good if you have a HVAC buddy id get him over there to clean it up and while your at it take a chop vac to the inside of the box

edit after you get the top back on grab some body sealer and smear it around the lip on the top that will keep it water tight

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor