how do i upgrade a 4.3L olds

Status
Not open for further replies.

81KiddCutty

Apprentice
Apr 29, 2013
i hav an all original 1981 oldsmobile cutlass calais with a 4.3L 260ci V8 an was wondering who could help me on what parts would i need. I understand a 260 wasnt a power V8 but im doing this as a challenge and be the odd one.

BuickOldsPontiac

Master Mechanic
Oct 14, 2011
Sterling Heights, MI
There really isn't much out there to do to a 260 Olds.... :?
If you are going to keep it, all I would suggest is a better exhaust and better gears. You could always try nitrous oxide.

The other answer is to swap it for a 350 Olds or 403 Olds.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
81KiddCutty said:
was wondering who could help me on what parts would i need.

A cherry picker.

Dragonist

Master Mechanic
Dec 3, 2010
Dallas, Tx
I don't know if this would work but maybe throw a different sbo crank in it... 307,330, or a 350.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
How to updgrade a 4.3 olds: Dont

it runs best closest to factory as possible & nobody makes parts for it.

If you're dead set on running a 4.3 at least theres intake/space/carb kit for the chevrolet 4.3 v8 that came in early caprices & you could probably find someone making cams for it, but probably not for the olds 4.3

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
This is easy!

Step 1: Get a good sturdy steel chain or better yet if you have a winch, stainless steel cable.
Step 2: Attach chain or cable to engine. Make sure it is a very secure connection, one not easily broken.
Step 3: Take this creation to a boat dock.
Step 4: Sell it to someone as an anchor.
Step 5: Spend the money gained from selling the boat anchor on a better engine.

RocketGremlin455

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 18, 2012
Galloway NJ
Put some 373 or better gears in it. You'll be a step closer on a future project plus it will make driving the 260 somewhat enjoyable.....maybe a shift kit. It will make a cool bragging story about only having a 4.3 that chirps tires....hopefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor