How do you guys make your Parts List for your builds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I don't want to know I'll get aggravated at how long it's taking as far as remembering what I need since my cars are so far away now my daughter put a very easy to use note pad in my phone when I'm there I note what I need and I check it during the week when I'm digging threw my parts or at the parts store. I guess she really wants them done to

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
I go off the deep end. I use Excel to make a spread sheet of parts, but I go and list everything I could ever want to do. I then look at the total and laugh. I keep everything on my list, but then start being realistic about what needs to be done. I move prices of things that can wait to a cell next to it until I have my list narrowed down to something I can live with.

Then I make a project book (deep end remember) with magazine articles, forum how to posts, engine builds with dyno numbers, anything related to my car that I think I may like to do to mine. That's my crazy list routine.

Hutch

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I go off the deep end. I use Excel to make a spread sheet of parts, but I go and list everything I could ever want to do. I then look at the total and laugh. I keep everything on my list, but then start being realistic about what needs to be done. I move prices of things that can wait to a cell next to it until I have my list narrowed down to something I can live with.

Then I make a project book (deep end remember) with magazine articles, forum how to posts, engine builds with dyno numbers, anything related to my car that I think I may like to do to mine. That's my crazy list routine.

Hutch
Wow I guess I'm way old school I thaught I was being high tech with the note pad my daughter put in my phone before that I just kinda knew and just did it whatever it was. Lol then again this is my first smart phone before that all my electronics ran on Cole and steam

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Rough lists are developed and kept in the twisted confines of my mind. Details (part numbers, prices, sources, tech info, etc.) are captured in Excel. The to do list is usually done on paper.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Wow I guess I'm way old school I thaught I was being high tech with the note pad my daughter put in my phone before that I just kinda knew and just did it whatever it was. Lol then again this is my first smart phone before that all my electronics ran on Cole and steam

:rofl: Preaching to the choir brother. I STILL don't have my own phone. Just my Crackberry work phone. Maybe when my son goes off our plan I'll get one.

Hutch

coal and steam HA

Shakes the Rat

Apprentice
Oct 8, 2016
I keep it simple. Cardboard stapled to the wall. As I tear the project down, I grab a sharpie (I keep them everywhere in the shop) and write down things I need. Since I'm usually covered in grease and dirt, this works great for preliminary lists. After I'm clean, I can copy and organize the list into a notebook. That list is grouped into parts orders (engine parts, brake parts, etc) since I can't order everything at once.

I've tried using excel but it takes too much time (for my personal projects). I tried using lists on my phone but I hate trying to copy and paste part numbers from one app to another. Paper and pen is still the easiest.

• Agree

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I don't keep track of money, only money I have left to spend.

• Agree

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
My engineering projects during the majority of my 32 years generally started with a spreadsheet so I can do them in my sleep. They are quite handy just for cataloging everything and then you can manipulate the data to compare 3 or 4 different ways to do something to see what is more cost effective? Now, obviously, if you are not used to the tool, it's like using a crescent on your head bolts so there is that . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor