How long are your mufflers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

all4gss

Apprentice
Aug 8, 2009
Bella Vista, AR
I've got 14" mufflers right now and it looks like 18-20" would fit. I've heard that you should run the longest muffler that will fit to mellow out the sound. How long are your mufflers?

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I think it matters more about whats inside the muffler and how its designed that changes the exhaust sound. Length theoretically wouldnt matter.

all4gss

Apprentice
Aug 8, 2009
Bella Vista, AR
Well Beavis...

Sorry, couldn't resist. :p

I'm talking about keeping the same muffler, just going from a 14" to an 18" to get a lower frequency.

More volume in the can gets deeper tone sounds like a good theory to me.

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
its a theory but i certainly would equate brand with tone in most cases. if you want a nice classic non ear rattling sound, you gotta go with magnaflow

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
I used the 5x8x18" case 2.5" center inlet offset outlet Magnaflow Universals number 12256. Great sound, great flow, great fit. Its about as large as you can comfortably fit under the back seat floor pan of a Gbody. A larger case allows for great sound control without limiting flow. Smaller case does one or the other but not both. I used their website to locate & get the phone number of their closest warehouse. Bought them over the phone at wholesale and the guy had them shipped to my door right from the company cutting one shipping charge out of the middle. Quality made muffler at a bargain price. If you buy 2.5" pipes for the gbody and tail pipes its normally a bolt up with the only fitting adjustment being at the header flange or up pipes to the manifolds. I got stainless pipes with stainless clamps if you do that with these muffs you are normally done with the exhaust for the life of the car. Naturally cheap uncoated headers can rust out or manifold bolts. If you use headers I am a big fan of www.remflex.com gaskets as they don't burn out of leak. I like to do it right and be done with it for good. Sorry about the ramble but hope it helps.

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
You also have the option to try resonator tips to mellow the sound a little. Sounds like your trying to get a deeper tone. Glasspack resonators will reduce more higher pitch sounds than low. On the other hand, Long large open tailpipes will make a deeper tone, but will increase droning type noise inside the cabin.

all4gss

Apprentice
Aug 8, 2009
Bella Vista, AR
Thanks for the feedback!

Especially the Magnaflow comments. I think I'm heading that direction.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
jlcustomz said:
You also have the option to try resonator tips to mellow the sound a little. Sounds like your trying to get a deeper tone.
x2 on this. My dad uses these on his 96 Z28 with his aftermarket exhaust. Its an extremely deep tone, you feel it before you hear it :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor