New to site, long time gbody fan - just refinished my wheels

kkgkeane

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 23, 2023
My 86 442 with 47K t-top cruiser. I like to keep it pretty much stock, but upgrade when it makes sense for safety (e.g. led dash bubs). Just refurbished my wheels, trouble finding the right color. There were post abut close colors, but could no find those in rattle can or they are not made anymore. Used one color but they came out to bronzey. Found this color and while not a match to the original (84-87 corvette gold) which after time fade and turn coppery on the wheels most likely to heat transferred to wheel and age ant time. VHT gold, while not original color I like them

Attachments

• Wheel paint.jpg
    Wheel paint.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 67
  • Wheel prep.jpg
    Wheel prep.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 67
  • Wheel_refurbished.jpg
    Wheel_refurbished.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 68
Reactions: 9 users

El1987

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 4, 2022
Florida
They look great. Nice job.
I am in the process of refinishing my rims. Sanded 2. 2 more to go. May I ask what you used to clean the wheels before spraying the primer and paint?

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Looks good. It’s a lot of work just to get them prepped and taped but worth it in the end.

Reactions: 1 user

kkgkeane

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 23, 2023
They look great. Nice job.
I am in the process of refinishing my rims. Sanded 2. 2 more to go. May I ask what you used to clean the wheels before spraying the primer and paint?
Sure, I used harbor freight stainless rotary brush stainless and brass set with my Dremel to clean rust and old paint, then use paint thinner to clean surface. Taped the edges using 3/16 tape then lots of painter tape and plastic wrap to protect chromes and tires.

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Another option is you can have a single stage can mixed up with WA7725. Pricier, but if I ever need to do it again, that's what I'd do. I used Camel Tan Duplicolor 294 when I re-did mine. And yeah, it's PITA.

Reactions: 2 users

El1987

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 4, 2022
Florida
Thank you. Looks like paint thinner is what I need to wipe it with before spraying.

Reactions: 1 user

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Whatever you end up choosing, please don't cheap out. Using quality solvents and tape is just as important as using quality paint.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor