how many inch between wheel wheelcase after lowering

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrick1978

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 27, 2015
I was wondering how many inch you guys have between the wheelcase and the top of the wheel after 1"or 2" lowering.
My springs of my 78 cutlass are pretty shagged.i have now about 1.5" .
I would like to buy new springs but want to keep this space or less.
What do you guys recommend or have on your own car

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
this is UMI Green Machine with their springs they sell for a G body. It's a 2" drop

IMG_5013_zpsrn8vxj33.jpg

UMI Sales

G-Body Guru
GBodyForum Sponsor
Oct 11, 2011
Philipsburg, Pa
Thanks GP.

I get this question a lot. I can tell you with our 2" lowering spring as shown in the above photo, the compressed rear spring distance is 9-1/2". The spring starts at around 13-1/2" and compresses 4 inches with the weight of the average G-body on it.

ramey

patrick1978

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 27, 2015
Thanks for the pic.when I put in the springs with new shocks. Do I have to change other stuff on my 78 cutlass for good driving? (Bumpsteer, panhart rod and upper and lower control arms)
Here in the Netherlands we don't have many lowered 78 cutlass es (or gbodys) to ask for good information how to or don'ts

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
you will probably have to do something with your upper control arm. The stock arm points down and when you put in a shorter spring the upper control arm moves up and out on it's pendulum swing. You may need a shorter upper to get your alignment specs. When you put in a shorter spring you can always put in a tall upper ball joint to put the upper on an upward angle so you can use still the stock upper control arm. You want to have the upper control arm with the ball joint sitting on a uphill direction. That will give you increased camber when compressed instead of the stock set up where you loose camber in a corner. To control the bumpsteer you want to have your tie rod assemblies parallel to your lower control arm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor