How many miles....

Status
Not open for further replies.

chriscutlass

Apprentice
Jan 29, 2010
NEW JERSEY GEMORCLER FOUNDER :)
i got 114k miles on the original 307....old lady had it and my hurst olds has 27kmiles :( but its geting parted out:( :puke:

eocoolj

Apprentice
May 27, 2010
106k on a bone stock 267 in a '79 Monte. Still being daily driven so it goes up every day 8)

IhaveNoPantsOn

Greasemonkey
Feb 22, 2009
Holyoke, MA
My 87 GP with the stock 305 has just under 120k on it. Hasn't seen any in over a month, because it wont stay running on me, and is just sitting in the lot at work. Up until just under 100k, it was all original...and I mean ALL original. Carb had never been touched. Still had the factory plugs over the idle mixture screws, and everything. Hell, it still has the rivets holding the choke housing cover on. Definitly need to figure out what's wrong with it and get it running nd on the road again. OK, story's over...

2fit661ca

Master Mechanic
Nov 16, 2009
Fairfield, IA
My dad's 87 Cutlass (he bought new in 88 wit 3k on the odo) had 279,000 on her when we sold it in 2003. He had the stock 307 with either a TH200 or a 2004r transmission. Mostof it was highway miles asthatcar as been all over the country and was our family car for 12 years. After only 1 year, it blew a head gasket; a few years later, the intake gasket, alternator, and other basic stuff. in 1999, my dad took it to a local mechanic at our current home in Iowa; (he bougt it whe we lived in Cali) to have the carb rebuilt. One thing the Iowa guys did no know was that it was a California model and had a California carb with high altitude jets. They decided that since the carb had "extra holes" that they needed to fill them in with epoxy. The car never ran the same since. But because of the high milage on his 307, my dad loves the engine. It was still solid the day we sold it, it just needed a new carb.

My Cutlass has 97K and no special stories behind it.

CostasCutlass

Apprentice
Apr 3, 2008
NJ, 07003
My 84 Cutlass with the original 307, thm200, and 2.14's went about 129,000 miles before it gave out. I knew it was on the way out, it was starting to have oiling issues. I was hoping it would last through the winter but ofcourse it didn't lol.

cimg0039c.jpg

http://img820.imageshack.us/i/cimg0039c.jpg/

You can see the carnage there... Atleast now when I'm feeling frisky while working on the car I can just fist my oil pan :mrgreen:

supkylesup

Master Mechanic
Mar 7, 2010
Toledo, OH
i just hit 166,000 on my 3.8L v6 im gonna run her till she wont run anymore
then its time for some real horses
but for now the v6 is a great and long lasting engine hell i may be 40 by the time that thing is done for(current age: 18)

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
I had around 160,000 on my 307 before pulling it for the 455. Still ran just fine and was only starting to show a slight puff of blue smoke at WOT.
The Cutlass body had almost 200,000 miles on it before I started the restoration.

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
My 87 went 145k on the original 307, th200, 7.5 with 2.14 gears.
Mind you, in 145k it never got a filter kit and new fluid til I got it. The motor had one oil change in the 8 or so years the previous owner/junkyard had the car. The car was smacked up several times, one of them so bad it was totaled, junked, fixed then resold by the junkyard. They never titled it so it has a clean title.
It then managed to live through my rather spirited driving. WOT was the only throttle position and sideways was the only way to go up the street. Not a problem with it. Didn't really use or leak oil, trans didn't burn fluid or start slipping, rear is still perfectly fine.
The only reason I pulled the motor and trans was because I wanted to go faster. I'm sure I could drop them in another car and go at least another 50-100k miles with proper maintenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor