How much did you drive your G-body this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
I think it's going to be under 2k for me which is up from only 900 miles last year, won't know till thanksgiving break though when i change the oil and prep it for winter

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
nycutlass said:
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
Probably around 1,000 miles, mostly to sort it out. This includes one night of Pizza Delivery when the battery went dead in my truck and I didn't have time to go buy a replacement. So far, I am still trying to sort it out, but my total lack of disposable income right now has put it on hold. Right now, the formerly disposable income is going towards saving for my new back porch roof. I'm about $500 away from it, and after that I can get back to the car. Sadly though, it will probably go up for sale when it is finally sorted as I am facing some tough decisions in the next year. I need to go to school full time if I am to ever finish it, and I can't do that without moving back home. My parents live in a very strict HOA community, so I won't be able to work on it for a few years. Rather than let it sit in storage and deteriorate, I will probably sell it and move on. New projects will await me once I finally get settled in a new career. As for now, I will be putting my house on the market in the late spring and selling all three of my vehicles. I'll be going down to a single new economy car and a bedroom in my parents house. That way, I don't have to think about anything but school and sorting out the most important project of them all: My life. I will still be around here to offer advice if needed; I just won't have any project cars for a few years.

you have a over drive transmission buy a cheap 7.5 with stock gears or even put a 305 in it ,it wont use that much gas that way as long you have the body your set , and keep what you built ,finish the details on the looks of the car and im sure no one will say anything parked at your parents house...just a idea to help you keep your car

Right now, the car is optimized for fuel economy as it is (better than it was with a V6), and it would be nowhere near good enough for what I plan to do. Also, it's an old car and old cars need more maintenance than new ones by virtue of their age. I do not want to have to touch a car for the next few years which is why I want a new one with a warranty. It will also be nice to have something that gets north of 40mpg on the highway so I can take some of my spare time between semesters to travel and visit friends in other states (I am thinking about a Yaris, Polo, iQ or Fiesta, depending on what is on the market when I am ready). The choice of car will mean that I can minimize my expenses by using something that is a known quantity in regards to reliability, and also one that will use a minimal amount of fuel when I am broke. The low fuel consumption will also limit my need to work so I can concentrate on school. Plus, with a new car with full coverage insurance, I really won't care what happens to it. I am not emotionally invested this way and if something happens to it it will be like losing a washing machine, not a prized possession. If I do what I am planning, I will keep very little of what I currently own, getting rid of everything but my tools, laptop and XBox 360. I don't have a nice TV, any furniture worth having or housewares that matter anyhow. (I was planning to throw out all my furniture and TV's and buy new if I kept the house.) I do plan to still deliver pizza around 10-15 hours a week for spending cash and to cover my gas and insurance. The new car will be paid for by selling off my old ones and taking a little from what I get from the sale of my house. The rest will be put into savings, with a portion invested so that it keeps up with inflation and lets me buy a place when I get settled. Once I buy a car, I will not touch the money that is left from the equity in the house and instead work minimally in order to support my relatively low living expenses.The whole thing is very cold and efficient, but I feel that is what probably needs to happen in order for me to move forward from here.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
I think I will hit appx 2000mi on the car and counting ( drive it to work today ). I have been happy with the 350 swap but I really want to get my LS1 rear disks on to the axle this weekend and maybe get the whole rear replaced next weekend. Then next will be to replace that tired 200r4 "temp" trans I have in there. I will drive the car right up until the snow flies but I have already noticed the tires are a little harder with it being a little colder out.

outsider_27

G-Body Guru
Mar 23, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
Drove it from the side of the garage into the garage. I did a SBO350 swap and pulled the old 260 and TH200 to put my 350 and TH350 in. I still have not gotten it running, so it has not been driven since it went into the garage. Was pushed back out and covered for the winter, but will be back at it in the spring.

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
Only got to drive my 87 cutlass for about 300 miles or so, it was a flood car, i gutted the interior, put a new on in and started work on the motor. Once i got the original motor runnin and the transmission drained of water i drove it until the tired motor just gave out. Now time for my new one. Hopefully ill drive it a lot next year

hunter_alexander

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2008
Erie Pa
1572 miles this year. Back in the garage for winter, new motor going to be built and many other upgrades over winter.

Finishedcutlass.JPG

[email protected]

Greasemonkey
Jan 9, 2009
Wisconsin
It was another year of Zero miles for me :cry:
Maybe next year :roll:

I've almost forgotten what it's like driving my Monte.

My best advice to you younger guys starting a restoration project is...One at a time! And I mean one project at a time, don't start on the car then pick up a sled that needs some work, then pick up a motorcycle that needs a little fixing, then buy a home that needs a little repair, ect. Or the next thing you know the driveway is full of "potential" but there is not enough weekends in a lifetime to fix it all. :(

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I've owned it for 5 years but I only got it registered in August thank's to NY DMV. Never buy a car from a dead guy. They wanted me to dig him up and get him to sign something! Anyway I've been sorting out all the stuff needed for a safe reliable car like wipers, brakes, heat, water leaks, etc, so not many miles. I did however make a major road trip this fall for parts and beer and hooked up with 2 great members that had what I needed (Hi Adam, Hi Brian) to complete this car. This is a work wagon and it won't rest at all. It just pulled a boat out for the winter which is what it really is for, that and surf casting.

Stoopud

Master Mechanic
May 21, 2007
Cleveland Ohio
A word of encouragement to all of you guys working on your cars... I have owned my car for 10 years, I drove it for about 5 before starting the restoration. It sat for between 4-5 years while I fixed it. I got it running last year and have driven it ever since (except in the snow of course). Keep at it. It is worth it when you can drive your car and enjoy the fruits of your labor. Anyone with a few bucks can buy a nice car, but there is no greater satisfaction than driving a car you built yourself, a car you can remember at its worst. But, when you get it done DRIVE THE sh*t OUT OF IT! When it breaks - fix it. One of the advantages of our cars is their relative inexpensiveness (notice I did not say cheap - no such thing as a cheap performance part). If I have to I will just rebuild my car every few years.

I watch for other G's on the road. I see very few, even fewer nice ones. I know a few of you are from my area and I am keeping my eyes open for you when you get on the road or to the shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor